Chapter Four

I awoke hours later, disorientated by the strange bed. Sitting up, I almost got up and reached for the light panel before I remembered where I was and said, "Computer, turn on the lights." The lights in the bedroom immediately rose and I blinked away the dark spots in my eyes. "Down a little!" They responded and, rubbing my eyes, I muttered, "What time is it?"

"2035."

It was just after midnight on Karos VII and I felt it. It was just evening here, though, and I knew that if I continued to sleep, I'd wake up far too early. No doubt there would be more discussions about Sandor tomorrow and I wanted to research more on my own time. Being exhausted wouldn't help me.

I was sure there was a lot to do on a ship this size but I didn't feel like investigating or exploring. Instead, I slipped on my shoes and straightened my clothing. On my way to the door, I caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror. Green was really not my color, although I doubted it was anyone's. Instead, I grew the hair a bit and made it a dark reddish brown. A bit better.

I left the quarters and entered the turbolift, knowing I could fall back to sleep if I stayed. "Ten Forward," I ordered the computer. The car began to move and a few seconds later the doors opened again. I recognized the doors to Ten Forward across the hall. The lounge wasn't crowded, just a few groups of crewmen spread throughout the room. I walked over to the immense windows, watching the stars streaking past. We were far from Karos VII. I stepped closer to the window, mesmerized by the flashing stars.

"Do you desire company?" a precise, clipped voice questioned. I turned and found Lieutenant Commander Data standing to my right, studying me with his pale-yellow eyes.

"Sure," I answered him, gesturing for him to join me in my vigil. Data nodded once and stepped forward, arms held stiffly at his sides. "I wouldn't mind it."

"I have noticed," he began, "that when someone stands alone, it means something is bothering them. Do you think this a correct assessment?"

I paused for a moment and then nodded, turning away from the windows to look at him. "I suppose so. Sometimes people want to be alone if they're upset or want to think things over. Sometimes they just need time to themselves."

"Ah, I see. You wish for me to leave, then?"

"No, no, you're fine," I said hurriedly, not wanting to hurt his feelings, although I'd heard he had none, and also simply not wanting to be alone. "We can sit down, if you like," I added. I took a seat in on one the plump chairs facing the windows and Data did the same, looking out of place in the comfortable seat.

"Are you unhappy to be back on the Enterprise?" Data asked. I raised my eyebrows, surprised at the question.

"No, not at all. I like it here, I'm just nervous about going back to Sandor."

As I spoke, a man in civilian clothes came up and, when I finished, asked me if I wanted anything. After I'd asked for drink, I turned back to Data.

"It is your home planet, is it not?" Data asked.

"Yeah, I haven't been there in over ten years, though."

Data tilted his head to the side reminding me that he was an android. "Do you not desire to return there?" he asked. "Most species seem to have a special fondness for the planet of their birth."

"Well," I started, not sure how to explain. "Well, where are you from?"

"I was constructed on the planet Omicron Theta," he told me.

"So it's your home?"

"I have few memories of the colony. Soon after I was activated, I joined Starfleet. In a way, the Enterprise is my home."