Chapter 9: Beautiful Karma

Mulai dari awal

Put a smile on, then. The corners of your lips twitched upwards, and you put your hands on your hips. "I have no goddamn clue what I should say to you. You're kind of weird."

He looked at you strangely, but you had already started to walk away. You tossed a glance back before turning the corner, and gave a little wave. What's the point of dodging the truth? Why not just say it as it is? There's no point in pretending nothing happened between you too. You still felt queasy, but trying to bottle something like that up would do more damage than it'd protect you from.

***

"(Y/n)! What is UP?" Miko slammed her hands down on your desk, causing you to slam your head against the bottom, having been reaching for your bag. Lunch had just started, and she had managed to get all the way over to you without noticing.

"Damnit Miko, what?" You rubbed the top of your stinging head.

"Don't you 'what' me," Miko swung the chair at the desk next to yours around, sitting like Kazue, chin resting on the lip of the back. "You and Higashikata, that's 'what'."

Kazue shifted in his seat, swinging a leg up and crossing them, his head rested against his propped up arm. "Don't you dare try to deny it, there are witnesses."

You felt the color draining from your face. "I don't understand, what are you..." had someone seen you at Josuke's house? The rumors that would spread about you if anyone knew... Oh god, it felt like you were going to spontaneously crack a rib from the self imposed tension.

"Do we really have to spell it out?" Miko rolled her eyes and gave a knowing look to Kazue before tilting her eyes at you, looking like a scolding mother. "You've been sharing an umbrella with him."

"Wait, what?" You're eyebrows pulled in. THIS is what they were talking about?

Kazue wagged a finger at you. "Some of the fan club girls are pretty peeved, they saw you ogling him with some serious puppy-love looks in the hall this morning." Kazue laughed. "You know, some of them were saying you were eye fuc-"

"Kazue shut up!" Miko shot a death glare at him. Your face was crimson red and burning.

It felt as if the entire classroom was watching your group. You helplessly looked around, noticing the stares of your classmates, especially that stupid indigo one. You slumped down in your seat. What you'd give to curl up in a ball and die.

"I... I'm sorry." Kazue whispered, staring at his feet. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, (y/n)."

"No, please don't apologize. It was all in good fun, right?" You offered him a little smile, but he didn't look up. You glanced around, and found those deep eyes boring a hole through you. Kazue's comment flashed in your memory, making you flush up.

Miko's eyes rapidly shifted between you and Kazue, letting out a "this-is-really-awkward-and-I-want-to-change-the-subject" kind of laugh. "Hey Kazue, can I talk to you for a minute?" She stood up and started pulling on his arm, dragging him towards the door of the classroom.

"Hey! Watch it, will you!?" Kazue's sounds of protest faded away, and you suddenly found yourself alone. You poked at your food, pushing it around its container. You almost didn't notice the soft footsteps that had advanced towards you on your left.

Almost, though you kind of wished you didn't.

A girl, one you recognized as one of Josuke's... admirers. She gave a little wave, wiggling her well manicured nails, the metallic click of bracelets jingled on her wrist. "Hi, you're (y/n), right?"

"Yeah, that's me. I'm sorry, I don't think I recall your name."

The girl dismissively waved her hand, those metal bracelets chiming. "That's alright, you can call me Okimi." She took a seat on the desk next to you, crossing her legs. "Tell me, I gotta know the answer." She leaned forward and made a show of covering her mouth, like she was telling a secret. "What's the deal with you and Jojo sharing an umbrella?" A little grin slipped onto her face. "Are you guys a couple or something?"

"Are you talking about Josuke? Oh no! It's nothing like that!" You waved your hands, face igniting again. "He just um, he lent it to me because of the rain."

The girl pulled away, a finger tapping her chin. "Oh? You mean that storm on Friday?"

You nodded your head. "Yeah, I didn't have one, so he let me borrow his."

Okimi tilted her head, her finger on her chin still. "Oh, that makes sense. But there's one thing that's bugging me." She dropped her finger from her chin. "Jojo wasn't HERE on Friday."

Your heart dropped into the deepest depths of your chest. Under your desk, your leg started bouncing. "Oh, um-"

Okimi leaned back again and recrossed her legs. "If you don't mind me speculating, it's almost like you're TRYING to start rumors about yourself and him." She looked you up and down. "Hasn't your mom ever taught you that lying is wrong? Wanting attention is no excuse."

"That's not- I didn't-" what were you supposed to say? You couldn't tell her the real reason you had his stuff, but denying what she's saying makes you look like you had some stupid obsession with him.

"Just do us all a favor and stop trying to make waves. We get it, you're the new girl and that's your thing, but seriously cut the crap. Not all of us have a little shtick like you."

Okimi stood up and dusted off her skirt, those stupid bracelets clacking around. "Just butt out, ok? be grateful for what you've got." Looking up, you noticed that there were a couple of other girls watching you from across the classroom. Okimi sauntered over to them and they erupted into a fit of giggles.

The door to the classroom slid open again, Miko casually strolling in, no sign of Kazue. Your head lolled to the side, eyes blankly settling on the windows. Miko poked at you. "Did I miss something?"

"Not really, but it sure as hell feels like Karma is trying to hit me over the head with a book."