The Feast of Silence

Mulai dari awal

The arrogant smirk falls away.

Felicite turns her head away so he cannot see her expression and grins at her small triumph, and the rest of the journey is spent in blessed silence.

The Feast of Silence is an ancient tradition and must always be observed after a hunt conducted in human form. In their true form, as wolves, they are following their instinct and maintaining their rank in the wild. But hunting as humans requires a ceremony of thanks to the Ancestors for providing the food, and to the prey itself, in gratitude for the sacrifice of the animal. 

Each member of the court dresses in a gown or suit of clothing that matches the color of their fur in their true form. Julien is dressed in black, a typical coat color for the Fleming male line. He would be easier to hate if he were not so damned handsome, but his fine features are not enough to win her over. It is a cruel trick that the Ancestors must punish her so; an ugly man with manners and honor would far surpass her current suitor. 

When they arrive in the courtyard of the great castle, the stablehands hurry to take their horses. Julien raises his arms to help her down and she hesitates, not wanting him to touch her, but she has no choice. She relents, allowing him to lower her to the ground, which he does with ease, before offering his arm to escort her inside. 

She does not look at him as he guides her into the castle. Her surroundings hold too many memories, painful for her now, and she does not wish for him to see the depth of her loss. She has spent much of her youth here at the castle of Ravaenna in the court of Jolis's father, King Geralt. Her betrothal had been celebrated merrily by the people, who saw her as a great peacemaker, for her marriage to Jolis meant the unification of the Three Kingdoms, and an end to the wars that have plagued them for centuries. They had even given her a fond nickname, Princess of Peace, and Jolis had been equally beloved for speaking out against the wars and vowing that his marriage - a happy one - would unite them all as one. 

Felicite can see the memories, as vividly as if they are happening before her own eyes. As a young girl rushing up these very stairs, Jolis chasing after her, and how she had squealed with delight when he had caught up to her. Behind the very arch she now passes under with Julien, Jolis had kissed her for the first time. She almost feels the way she felt then, the butterflies fluttering in her stomach. She remembers it as though it happened yesterday and not a lifetime ago. She glances about the great hall as Julien leads her, spotting all of the hiding places she had found as a child. 

The fond memories give her comfort and the strength to keep walking beside Julien. She casts a cautious glance up at him, but he is staring straight ahead. He looks distressedAs though he does not belong here.

Good. 

He does not.

"Are you unwell, Your Grace?" she asks sweetly. 

"Fine," he huffs. 

Felicite is seated beside Julien in the Great Hall of Ravaenna Castle in a high-backed dark oak chair. She is uncomfortable here in the presence of all of these traitors. The silence only makes matters worse. With no conversation, all one can do is observe others. 

Her gazes land on Julien more than once, even though she wills her eyes away from him. She cannot help but be curious about him. He looks uncomfortable before all these people. If he did not want to be king, then why did he kill Jolis? 

A large silver platter filled with the roasted meat from the hunt is placed on the table before him, and Julien slices it, taking the best pieces and placing them on her plate. She nods her thanks, even though she wishes to be anywhere but beside him at this feast. The tradition of serving the female the best pieces of meat from the hunt is one she savored with Jolis, but now with Julien, she has lost her appetite.