chapter fourteen | feelings and distractions

Start from the beginning

Mary,

I hope you're adjusting to Hogwarts well. I know it's all different, almost like a whole new world compared to Ilvermorny. Nevertheless, knowing you, it's all going well.

Anyway, I heard about your failed attempt with the necklace today. I hate to say it, but Mom, Dad, and I expected better from you. This mission could affect our future with the Dark Lord and making careless mistakes is not an option. The little duel you took part in was already a bad move, so you're really pushing your luck. You need to step in and help Draco with this. Otherwise, this move would've been for nothing.

If you fail, this could cost our family everything.

See you at Christmas.

Tobias

Mary placed the letter in her lap, letting the words of her brother sink into her brain. This was what her and Draco were worried about, screwing up. Of course, the last thing they wanted was a letter explaining how stupid and reckless they were being about all of this. They couldn't help it. This was all new to both of them. Did their families really expect them to get this finished and right the first time?

If you fail, this could cost our family everything.

She could hear her brother saying that sentence to her at this moment. It made her head hurt a bit.

Mary headed out of the Owlery with her letter in hand. She gripped it so tight that she could feel the parchment crumbling up in her grasp. She felt so angry at Tobias for sending her this, at Draco for being so stupid with the package, and at herself for trusting him to take care of it.

If anyone has been stupid, it's me, she thought.

The corridors were practically empty as she strolled back to the Slytherin Dungeons. Before she got too far, a hand pulled her up the stairs. "What the--"

"Relax, it's just me," the sound of Draco's voice told her. "We're going to the Room of Requirement."

"What for?"

"So we can talk."

"Can't we talk in the Slytherin Common Room?"

"In private, I mean."

Mary nodded her head, understanding the sudden urge to get alone. He took her to the seventh floor, where it didn't take them long to enter the place they had been sneaking off to for quite some time now. Heading deep inside, Draco finally let go of her hand and sighed. "How bad was your letter?"

"Tobias is pissed with me," she stated bluntly. "Apparently, if I don't get my act together and take this seriously, then it's my fault we practically gave up our lives in America to move here."

Draco raised his eyebrows. "Well, mine was a bit nicer, considering my mum was the one that wrote to me." He looked down at his letter. "She just wants us to make sure we're having time to do schoolwork while doing our mission as well."

Mary couldn't help but laugh. "A simple 'keep trying and study hard' would've been fine with me."

Draco scoffed. "They've got to be harsh on us. You know, they want to push us to work even harder to get this done."

"I know," she said. "Say we fail this mission. What happens to us?"

The blond remained silent, pacing around. Mary could tell how uneasy he was becoming. He swallowed hard. "He'll kill us, Mary."

Mary felt her heart drop. "Kill us?"

"What do you expect? We're doing a job for one of the darkest wizards of all time."

"I know, but..." she trailed off, shaking her head, feeling a lump in her throat.

"But what?"

"I just..." her voice cracked. "I just can't believe our parents would agree to that."

"Yeah, our parents definitely love us, don't they?" Draco let out a nervous chuckle.

Mary felt a few tears form in her eyes, but she quickly wiped them away, not wanting Draco to see. "We better step it up, then, for their sake."

"Yeah," he said, nodding his head. "But for now let's not worry about it." He looked at her with sad eyes. "Let's be each other's distractions."

Mary raised her eyebrows. "What exactly did you have in mind?"

Draco had a small smirk on his face as he took Mary's hand again and was leading her out of the Room of Requirement. "Come on. Let's get out of the castle for a while."

A/N: Oh, look, an update!

I'm sorry I've taken so long to update this story! I know it's been a year, but I'm getting back to it!

Song above is All My Friends by Madeon. I know it seems like none of my song choices make sense, but I've listened to the lyrics enough to relate it back to the chapter. Lol.

Comment, vote, more to come soon (I promise)!

-A