Part 5

Chapter 13 

When he awoke around mid morning Martin found himself alone in a tangle of sheets and the quilt. He was reasonably sure that last night wasn't a dream, but it certainly had been magic. And while there might be complications he was more than willing to deal with them. He struggled to unwrap himself and made his way to the wash basin on the mirror stand. It was a small convenience that he didn't need to undress so he took the opportunity to wash thoroughly and shave. He dressed in comfortable riding clothes and made his way down to the dining area. He was inclined to head into the common room but he was intercepted by Jenin. 

"If you please, Sir Martin. Breakfast awaits in the private dining room." 

The girl, or young woman in fact, was all smiles and her eyes sparkled. Martin nodded and as he followed her he thought whatever happened last night it must have gone well.  

"Ah, Martin, there you are," Edmor said amiably. "Jenin, thank you for hunting down the hunter and bringing him to us." 

"It was my pleasure, Your Highness," she replied with a brief curtsey and wide smile. 

Martin saw Lezene at the table across from her brother and she gave him a small but warm smile but her eyes danced. He approached the chair between the siblings but before he sat down he held out his hand to Lezene who gently placed hers in his. He leaned over a bit and brought the back of her hand to his lips and kissed it gently, all the time, looking into her eyes. When he released her hand she said, 

"Why, sir, such courtly manners." 

"I guess I figure I need the practice," he replied. 

He sat down and began to serve himself from several platters and a covered bowl. Lezene poured a cup of tea for him. Edmor regarded them but said nothing, his own smile barely perceptible.  

"So, you two, what think you? When should we depart and what can we do to pass the time until then?" 

"Well, if we want to avoid people in the street I guess we need it to be full dark before we arrive at the outer gate, I guess," Martin said. 

"You forget, Martin, we are at the shorter days of the year right now. Many will still be about when it is full dark. We are less than half a day's ride from the city. I'd suggest we leave just before sunset. The streets should be near empty by the time we get there," Edmor replied. 

"Yes, I guess you're right." 

Lezene blew out a short breath and said, 

"I still think it most unseemly." 

"Oh, I don't know," Martin began. "Sneaking around in the dark does have something to be said for it." 

Lezene's eyes went wide and Edmor did all he could to keep from exploding in laughter. Lezene finally gave a short little laugh herself and rested a hand fondly on Martin's forearm. Once he got himself under control Edmor said, 

"As to how to occupy our time, might I suggest a few rounds of Confrontation, sister dear?" 

"I feared that's what you had in mind, most devious of brothers. You only suggest that game because you now how badly I play." 

Martin looked back and forth between the two, inviting an explanation. 

"It's my brother's favorite game, dearest. It involves cards, dice and a board with markers. I don't play it very well. It requires a certain twist to the mind that I lack and Edmor has in great excess," Lezene said, looking at Martin and then turning her attention towards Edmor. "As you will, brother dear. Call for the game to be brought in."