Chapter Five

Aldith marched through the stone corridors of King Aundel's castle. She had been summoned to the Throne room, where King Aundel was waiting. She was dressed with her armour on and sword attached to her left hip. The oak doors that she now found herself outside of open and on the other side was a sizeable regal room. 

The Throne room was large with three levels, the first was the ground level, where all the staff and servant of non-royal or knight linage stood. A set of sandstone stairs stood in the centre with a red carpet leading up them. 

The second level was shaped like a large circle in the centre of the room. Four large stone angels stood on the four sides of the ring. They stood different from each other, One a female playing the harp, another female holding a sword ready for battle. A third depicted as a male wearing a crown while holding a book in his right arm, while the other male statue aimed a bow and arrow. They were all facing inside of the circle, and every single angel had a simple golden crown, which stood out against the grey stone. Here was were those of Royal blood, and those who held a knighthood would stand. 

Then directly across the circle was another set of stairs with a red carpet lining. But this stair was line with golden leaves and swirls, leading up to a half-circle. In the half-circle was a large golden throne with two cherub angels lounged over the back of the chair. King Aundel sat on the Throne; it was almost like the size of it was swallowing him. 

The King sat in all his glory, with a royal blue shirt adorned by a large golden neck chain. A large red cloak hung from his right shoulder and over the arm of the chair. A large crown sat on his head, but instead of being gold, this was crafted from silver with small clear crystals embedded within the precious metal. They say the reason behind the Silver Crown, is to show the gods that the King is second to them.

Light streamed into the throne room from the three large windows that stood directly behind the Throne. Through the streaming of light, dust floated and gave a somewhat sparkle that surrounded the Throne. The three large arched windows stood proud with a view of the city below. This room was the prize of the Kingdom. Standing within the hall was like being in the Halls of the Gods.

Prince Killian stood at the bottom of the stairs leading to the Throne, for only the King was permitted to ascended them. The Queen stood to the left of the stairs, opposite Killian. They both watched Aldith made her way into the room; every eye now fell upon her, judgingly. She ascended the first set of stairs before walking forward and stopping at the foot of the next. She dipped down to kneel of her right knee, bowing her head to show her respect to the King. 

"Stand." The King's voice thundered through the room, with such dominance behind it that it sent shivers down even the toughest knights spine. Aldith followed his instruction and raised to her feet, but her head still dipped. After a few seconds, she lifted her eyes and head to look at the King. His face filled with anger and pain at the loss of his friend. "An Enemy of both kingdoms has murdered King Jehanel," King Aundel began to address the Court, it was so still and quiet that you could have heard a feather fall to the floor. "Dorgoth must be stopped, as I fear his next target will be us."

"Which is why Prince Killian will join The King's Knight, Aldith to reclaim the Crown. She is the only one that can take King Jehanel's Throne, as she is his one and only heir." King Aundel paused. Aldith expected chatter to raise, but there was nothing. The silence stayed in place. "I tasked Prince Killian to choose two other knights to join them, and represent our kingdom." Aldith glanced to the Prince from the corner of her eye, who's eyes were fixated on her. "The Knight which the Prince has chosen are as follows. Sir Eliot and Sir Aymer." The King finished before standing up from his Throne. As soon as he stood to his feet, the entire Court simultaneously dropped to their knee. "You leave immediately, May the Gods be on your side." The King boomed through the halls.

"All hail King Aundel!" A voice shouted before everyone as the King stepped forwards and began to descend the stairs. The Court did not move until the grand doors were shut and the King had gone. Everyone stood to their feet and looked to the Prince. Who shifted to stand in the centre of the stairs looking towards the rest of the Court. 

"The court is dismissed." He called, and everyone stood in their places as The Prince took the queens arm and escorted her out from the Throne room, follow by Aldith. The rest of the Court then began to usher out of the Throne room and back to whatever they were previously doing. 

Aldith made her way to the courtyard where she knew the Prince would be waiting for her. She jogged down the steps and onto the cobblestones, where the Prince and the two Knights now stood. They had already been informed before the Court that they would be leaving, so everything was ready. Four horses were brought out by servants and handed to each of them. None of them muttered a single word as they mounted their steeds. The King and Queen now stood at the top of the steps to the entrance of the castle. 

The Prince waited on the King's nodded before leading them out of the courtyard in haste. The Prince led the way with Aldith to his left and hanging back slightly. Behind them was Sir Eliot and Sir Aymer. They rode through the city's cobbled street in a fast trot. The road became more like dirt; the closer they got to the edge of the town. Until they found themselves in the fields that surrounded it and they broke out into a gallop. Those who were picking away at the crops looked up at the four zooming through the fields with curious glances. It was in the fields that Aldith then took the led as she knew the way to their first destination. It was the closest they were to visit, but It will still take about two days to reach it; if the weather is in their favour.