Chapter 7

Song for this Chapter: On the Floor, Jenifer Lopez ft Pit bull
Listen to the song when you get to the party part of the book.

Elyon's POV

After that day, Jamal and I didn't talk and it was no fun at all. Not even a single hi or hello. I'd see him with Tolani most times and no matter how much I'd hate to admit it, it sorta hurts. Mateo was always there and I used that as a distraction.

It was Friday, after school, and also the day of Tolani's party. I had decided to go, to show I wasn't a wimp. Skye had come over to my house to help me convince my parents to let me go for "a friend's birthday party." That was the lie we were going to use. Hopefully, my parents would buy it.

"So how do we go about this?" I asked Skye again. She was seated on my bed and I sat on the floor as she made my hair into bantu knots.

"You will tell your parents about the birthday party and convince them to call my mum who I have convinced already about the birthday party. If my mum should be involved, your mum will let you go." Skye restarted, applying leave-in conditioner to my hair.

"My mum is kinda thick-skinned though. I can easily convince my dad, but mummy... Not so much. You know how mothers are like na." I said.

"I hear you. Before I could convince my mum about it, it took me hours. Thankfully she and my dad are out of town. They can be very annoying but you gotta love 'em." She shrugged.

"True. With that settled, what about clothes to wear. I barely went for parties back in Abuja so I don't know how it's done here in Lagos." I said.

"Wait, let me finish this last one I'm doing. Then, we'll pick a dress for you." Skye replied as she rolled the one she has weaved into a knot. "All done. Now let's pick a killer dress for you."

Skye stood up excitedly and rushed to my wardrobe. I followed behind her and soon we began to rummage my wardrobe for a killer outfit. Skye brought out a black armless crop top and camo cargo pants.

"This, right here, is dope." She said, throwing it on the bed and proceeded to look for a shoe.

"Yes, it's dope but how do I get past my mum wearing that," I asked her and she looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"You are so naive. Of course, we won't wear this out. Just leave everything to me." She winked at me and I fell on my bed.

What have I gotten myself into?

****

By seven-thirty, we were ready. We packed an overnight because we were dropped by Chidinma's place to dress and make up before we all go to the party. After the party, we were going back there to rest. The guys were going to go on their own. I didn't ask Skye if Jamal was going or not. I didn't care.

I'd pretend not to care.

We were walking out of my room when I saw Venus standing, hands akimbo by the staircase blocking our way. I already knew she had something up her sleeve.

"Venus, Biko let us pass," I said impatiently. Skye chuckled as she has always found the banter between me and my sister quite hilarious.

"You want to lie to mummy, abi? I wee tell!" Her lips quirked in a mischievous smirk and I sighed.

I talk am!

"Venus, you have started. Why do you have to be a pest." I snapped in my lowest voice so that my mum won't hear.

"You are still insulting me. Mu....!" She started to scream but Skye was quick to cover her mouth, turning her mouth into muffled sounds. I quickly took her hand and we dragged her to my room and sat her on the bed.