Chapter 02: Coincidence or Luck?

Start from the beginning

We all leaped the last few feet into misty air and wet ground 'This place seems familiar...' I thought to myself. "I won!~" Gon shouted triumphantly, pulling me back to reality.

"No way mate I won" I protested, "No, both of you are wrong, I was obviously faster than you two" Killua said confidently. I raised a hand, palm out, my face flat. "Sorry to burst yur bubble mate, but I was fastest =_=" I said.

"No I was faster" Gon interjected. "I was!" Killua continued to argue. "Hey you, which of us was fast'r?" I asked the purple haired guy, who had stopped at the top of the stairs.

"I do believe all three of you tied" Purple hair replied. "Ah, I see...Then, we buy dinner for each other" Gon said "What? I don't understand..." Killua said, scratching the back of his head.

"Oh, I get it" I said, plopping my fist into my palm. "You do?" Killua asked, sceptical. I nodded, we sat down on the outskirts of the crowd, waiting for Leorio and Kurapika.

When they finally made it, we ran over as Leorio collapsed onto the grass. "You made it" Gon said happily. "Is this our destination?" Kurapika asked, "I don think so..." I muttered absently, my eyes unfocused. "Oh, the fog is fading" someone said.

This place really did seem familiar...My thoughts were answered a moment later.

"The Numere Wetlands, also known as the Swindlers Swamp. We must cross these wetlands to reach Phase Two of the exam. This place is the home to many bizarre animals, many of them being cunning, insatiable creatures, who deceive humans and prey upon them. Be very careful. If you let them fool you...you're dead".

My jaw dropped "Naw way". "What is it Yugure?" Gon asked. I turned as Satoz continued to talk about stuff I'd grown up with my whole life. "This is my home" I said.

"You live here! how do you not get eaten by the monsters?" Killua said, referencing something he'd just heard Satoz say.

I figited as Leorio said "How can they fool us know that we know", referring again to something the examiner had said about this place.

'Should I tell them?' I thought. "Um...well...ya see-" I started, stalling while I thought of something to say, I was interrupted. "Don't let them fool you!" A voice cried.

"I just said we can't!" Leorio exclaimed as a man came our from behind the wall of the entrance to the tunnel. "D-Don't fall for it..." The man said again.

I sniffed the air, something smelled off, like a dirty, nasty animal was someplace close by. I wrinkled my nose, I recognized this scent. Man-faced ape, and it was REALLY close.

I looked around, nearly completely ignoring the guy as he spouted random nonsense. That was until he said dragged a Man-faced Ape out from behind the wall and accused Satoz of being one.

Satoz did indeed look like one, but he didn't smell like one. Smell never lies, and in this case, the one who smelled most like ape, was the guy saying crazy crap.

I slipped away from my group and advanced on the man slowly, stalking him like prey. It had been a while since I'd hunt something.

I got closer...closer...I was just a few feet away, and Leorio was saying "An imposter? Whats going on?". People were vetting more and more confused as I snuck up on the guy.

I let my finger nails grow into claws, just a little. Enough to be sharp and long enough to pierce flesh and rip out the guys throat.

I never got the chance. Cards flew through the air, some at Satoz, some at the fake. Satoz caught them, the other guy didn't. I sighed defeat and straightened from my crouch, my claws retracting.