Chapter 3

HARRY

It was getting dark.

Our feet ached and our lungs burned as we continued to distance ourselves from the atrocities we had left behind. The sun slowly sunk day into night, but still we kept running and running for hours on end. I felt burnt out, like a car trying to drive without gas. I was already sick and tired of it, I would rather stab my fucking eyes out than take another step. And this was only the first twenty-four hours. I was just giddy with excitement over how many grueling miles the rest of my life would bring.

At first I had the adrenaline of leaving Wickendale to plow me through. But now some of that excitement had faded and that adrenaline was gone, and I was tired and cold and had no fucking idea what to do next. Everything had been planned out, every part of our escape. Except for this.

But the girl alongside me kept her pace with mine, not a single complaint falling from her lips. Of course she was tired, she had to be, but the exhaustion never showed on her face. She was small and those big eyes made her look so young, yet she was one of the strongest people I had ever met. I wanted to ensure that I got her somewhere safe, and that is what kept me trudging through the frosty grass.

But ensuring that safety was easier said than done. We needed some form of a disguise, we needed to have a place to go to instead of this aimless running, to be even remotely secure. Leaving the country would be ideal, but how? We don't have passports or nearly enough money. The only thing we could do, at least for now, was get the hell away from Wickendale. As far as we could possibly get, through the thick forest and out of sight from any non-fugitives. Stay away from people and don't get caught.

My mind came back to me when I felt Rose's hand on my arm, signaling for me to slow down. My pace decreased and I came to a slow jog. But even then she lessened her speed, starting to walk. I followed suit.

She breathed in heavy, ragged breaths, trying to regain enough of one to talk. "Harry?" she asked.

"Yeah?" I breathed, searching her face for whatever she was about to ask.

"I was thinking - we're gonna have to get more food and water, eventually. We'll need to restock on supplies."

"Okay . . ." I said, not quite sure where she was going.

"And we'll need to change our appearances. At least a little."

I nodded in agreement, my breathing starting to return to normal. "Yeah, we will."

She nodded and turned her head toward me, looking me in the eye. "I think we should do that now."

"No," I answered quickly. Going back into town, whatever town we were in, meant the risk of getting caught. Well, a higher risk anyway. And I absolutely refused to go back there. I had Just barely made it out of there a second time, I would rather die than return a third.

"Why not?" she asked. "Harry, we have to."

"Not right now," I persisted. The screams echoing through the halls of that place and Ms. Hellman's eyes staring at me the same way they did in the electroshock therapy room were still all too vivid.

"Well when, then? It's now or never."

"Why does it have to be right now? We should get farther first, we can do it tomorrow or something."

"Because," she started, still not breaking eye contact. "Word may not have gotten out yet. It's only been a day. Knowing Ms. Hellman, she'd want to keep this quiet for as long as she could, it would destroy Wickendale's reputation. Better now than later when everyone's on the lookout."