Chapter Sixteen

Karly sat there at her desk looking at who was at the door. It was her ex-boyfriend, Kevin. They had broken up after college when he got an internship in Paris for photography. They remained friends and once in awhile would check in and see how the other was doing.

"Hey beautiful," Kevin said. She got up and came around and jumped into his arms and hugged him. He held her close.

"I can't believe you're here!" Karly said.

"I know, it was time to come home," Kevin said.

"How was Paris?" Karly asked.

"It was amazing," Kevin said.

"Are you back in the states for good?" Karly asked.

"Yep, I spent the last two months at home in Cleveland with my parents and I decided to come to New York to find you, Karly," Kevin said.

"Oh well you found me, running the agency here, living my life, a lot has changed," Karly said.

"Tell me everything," Kevin said.

"Well,I don't know how to tell you this but I am with someone, his name is Luke, I love him, I am in love with him, we just moved in together," Karly said.

"Oh I see, he makes you happy?" Kevin asked.

"The happiest I have been since before we broke up," Karly said.

"What else has happened?" Kevin asked. They sat on the couch and she told him everything that had happened while he was gone.

"So your ex beat you and put you in the hospital, killing your baby that he put in you and he got probation," Kevin said.

"I have a restraining order against him," Karly said.

"Carry a gun with you at all times," Kevin said.

"I am," Karly said.

"Good, don't hesitate to shoot him," Kevin said.

"Oh I won't," Karly said.

"Okay then what else is going on?" Kevin asked.

"My mom faked her death to get away from her husband who turned out not to be my real father, I found my real father, his name is Rick Lawson, I changed my last name to his last name, I am now Karly Ann Lawson, my mom dropped her married name and is going by her maiden name, Amy Sanders, Austin and Eric took the last name Lawson too," Karly said. She told him everything about why she couldn't know her real father or know she had a twin brother.

"I am glad he's dead," Kevin said.

"We all are," Karly said.

"Karly?" Luke asked.

"Hey babe," Karly said.

"I'm Kevin Parker, I went to college with Karly," Kevin said.

"And her ex," Luke said.

"He knows everything, Kev," Karly said.

"I'm Karly's boyfriend, Luke Stone," Luke said.

"Nice to meet you, Luke, I'm not here to get back with Karly, we broke up as friends so that's how we will stay, I will always love her but we can only be friends, if that's okay," Kevin said.

"It's okay, just don't cross the line," Luke said.

"I won't," Kevin said.

"Kevin, do you have a job?" Karly asked.

"Not yet, I got in yesterday and spent most of the time looking for apartments," Kevin said.

"We need a staff photographer here," Karly said.

"I'll take it, I was going to go job hunting after I find a place," Kevin said.

"You can share with Eric, I'm sure he would like a roommate," Karly said.

"Or he could come live at the house with me, hey Kev!" Austin said. They shook hands and bro hugged.

"Hey man, you have a house by yourself?" Kevin asked.

"It was the family home before the asshole passed and Austin inherited it and completely renovated it and now it doesn't look like it did before," Karly said.

"Wanted to make it your own, huh," Kevin said.

"Yep, no reminders of what happened there," Austin said.

"And I heard you and Eric changed your last names," Kevin said.

"Yep, we didn't want that last name anymore, not after what he did to the family, beating our mother, threatening to kill Karly and her twin to the point where our mom had to give our brother to her cousin to raise and keep safe," Austin said.

"Kevin, have you done anything with your law degree?" Karly asked.

"Yeah, I can join a law firm or start my own," Kevin said.

"Wait he's a lawyer too?" Luke asked.

"He majored in law and minored in photography, he just had bigger opportunities for photography that he couldn't pass up," Karly said.

"But he did pass the bar before he left for Paris," Austin said.

"You could go work at our family lawyer's firm," Karly said.

"I'll call Jack, you could work part time here and part time with him," Austin said.

"Wait a minute, Austin, you cleaned out that asshole's safe right?" Karly asked.

"Yep," Austin said.

"What was in it?" Karly asked.

"A bunch of papers that I gave to Jack to go through," Austin said.

"Baby what is it?" Luke asked.

"What if he had something to do with it?" Karly asked.

"My so called father?" Austin asked.

"We need to see those papers, bro," Karly said.

"Yep," Austin said.

"What's going on?" Kevin asked.

"Long story," Luke said.

"Let's go sis, guys," Austin said. They left and went to the law firm.