12. My Melancholy Blues

Start from the beginning

"No, it's alright. That's what I'm here for, to listen. And to reassure you that, while disappointing yes, it will all work out."

She heaved another heavy sigh, swirling the tea around in her cup. "I just wanted it so badly.  I thought that was a good thing."

"It is."

She shrugged. "But I guess I confused wanting it too much with wanting it so much."

"Well, as Led Zeppelin say, 'There's still time to change the road you're on.'"

"I love 'Stairway'. And Zepp."

"Yeah, the guitar in that song is just, well, something else." He reached into his bag to retrieve something.  "And, there is this, if you're still interested." He slid something across the table.

It was the ticket for the '50s night at his uni. 

"Oh, yes! I'd still love to go!"

"Brilliant, I'm glad. I'm looking forward to it."

"Me too, it's exactly what I need at the moment.  Here, I'll pay you for the ticket - how much?"

"No, no, my treat," he said. 

"You're sure?"

"Yes."

"Well thank you."

"You're welcome."

He was definitely the most considerate person she had ever met. 

-----------------------------------

"Lettie, there's a postcard here for you," Chip called, sorting through the pile of mail that had just been dropped off.

She curiously came to collect her mail. "Where from?"

He smiled. "Delhi."

She gasped.  "Priya!"

Priya was she and Tina's younger friend, in between their and Chip's age, who was in Delhi for two months visiting family with her mum. An aspiring writer, she had promised to write to her friends from abroad.

Lettie instantly felt better and read the card.

Dear Lettie,

Hello from India! I hope all  is well with you and your family back in London. I can't wait to see you and Tina again - we all have a lot of catching up to do!

Mum and I have been very busy with family, but I have gotten quite a lot of writing done. I had major writer's block before we left, and I suppose the change of scenery re-fuelled my creativity, for which I am glad! I can't wait to read you what I've written.

Mum sends her good wishes. Say hello and give my love to your family.

Love, Priya

Lettie smiled and re-read the card before sticking it up on the fridge.

Priya and her mum were due back in a few weeks. Having her friend back home and hearing all about her adventures would certainly lift her spirits - she couldn't wait!

---------------------------------

As promised to Valerie, Tina brought Tim into the grocery shop. When she came in, she was waving a postcard in her hand.

"Priya!"

"I know, I got one too," Lettie said. "I can't wait to see her again."

"Me too! I miss her! I was thinking, let's wait until she gets back to have our girls time!"

"Sounds good. I'm more flexible now." Now that I didn't get the job.

"Well hello there." Valerie stepped into the front of the shop.

"Hi Val! I brought the boyfriend, as requested." Tina gestured to Tim. "This is Tim, and this is Valerie, Lettie and Chip's mum."

"So good to meet you, Tim."

Tim smiled and shook her hand.  "Thanks, you as well."

"Here, perfect timing you two, I have something for you-" Valerie disappeared for a moment and returned with a tray of baklava. "Baklava anyone, fresh and on the house."

"Thank you." Tina and Tim each took one of the pastry triangles.

"Oh sweet!" Chip appeared, as though summoned by the treats, and reached in, only to have his hand smacked away by his mother.

"Not for you! Only for our guests!"

-------------------------------

"Why hello Juliette." When she arrived at the stall, she was greeted by Roger.

"Hi Roger." She pulled the folded black and gold jacket out of her bag. "I brought this back, thank you again for letting me borrow it. I won't be needing it now." Freddie had told her to hold onto it to wear for her first day working at Biba for good luck. But, as she said, she wouldn't be needing it anymore.

"Are you sure you don't want to hang onto it for a while more?" he offered.

"Thanks, but you have it back."

"It looked real good on you."

"Thanks, but as I said."

Following her news about not getting the job, Freddie was most sympathetic. Mary assured her that she would keep her posted if any more opportunities at the shop arose. Roger kept making a lot of jokes to try and cheer her up.

"Juliette Darling! So good to see you!" Freddie appeared and enveloped her in a great big hug. She loved that even tough they had seen each other very recently, he still was so enthusiastic about seeing her again.

"You too, Fred. I was just returning yours and Roger's jacket, thanks again for letting me borrow it, it was perfect."

"Oh, but surely you'll be needing it again."

"What for?"

"Well when you start working here - if you want to, of course."

"What do you mean?"

He winked. "Don't fear, Darling, I may have just the opportunity for you."

(Fred to the rescue! ;) Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))