4. White Queen (As it Began)

Lettie tried to limit herself, she really did, but still ended up going home with a few pieces of new clothing - gently used, but new and exciting to her.

"Good picks, Darling," Freddie commented while she paid for her items.  "These will all go nicely together."

"Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I was also going through my own closet, but haven't finished yet. I'll definitely bring some items in - gives me an excuse to come back."

Freddie winked and handed her her bag. "Looking forward to it, Darling."

"Me too!"

Her time at the stall - and the new stack of magazines sitting on her beside table - provided Lettie with a great rush of inspiration. She couldn't wait to get back to her collaging!

But first, she had to call Tina and update her on her discovery. 

"Guess what?" 

"What?"

"Freddie knows Tim."

"Freddie?"

"Mary's Freddie!"

"Oh, oh really?"

"Yes, they're mates from art college. Small world."

"Isn't it just?"

"Now you and Mary can go on double dates."

"Exactly! And you can join us, make it triple!"

"How? Please don't say with Roger."

"I still think he's a catch!"

"Tina, Tina, always the matchmaker."

"You know it!"

A few days later, on her day off from work and school, wearing some of her new clothes from the stall, Lettie took her magazines with her to a nearby coffee shop where she settled in a booth with a pot of earl grey tea.

About half an hour into flipping through the magazines and sipping her tea, someone nearby cleared their throat, catching her attention. 

"Hi, Juliette?" She looked up and met eyes with Smile's guitarist who was towering over her. He was smiling down at her warmly. "Brian, Tim and Roger's friend."

"Of course." She smiled up at him. She definitely remembered him, but thought it sweet that he reminded her. "How are you?"

"Well thanks, you?"

"Can't complain."

Out of all three Smile members, Brian was the one she hadn't had much of a chance to talk to.

He had his book bag with him so it looked like he was going to be doing some work as well.

"Would you like to sit down?" She gestured to the empty other side of the booth. She sometimes felt bad taking up a whole booth when it was just herself, but she found the booths comfy and cozy. 

"Oh, thanks. You sure you don't mind?"

"Not at all, I'd like the company."

He didn't need any more encouragement and slid into the booth across from her.
"What are you working on?" The strap of his bag flipped his hair in his face as he took it off over his shoulder. He ran his long fingers through his hair to smooth it back out again. 

"Inspiration. We have to hand in a completed portfolio at the end of our degree, and much of mine is collages. I'm marking down different articles and images that I'll cut out later when I can lay out on my bedroom floor with a cup of tea and the biscuit tin blasting Bowie or Zeppelin."