Tsarevich Alexei almost dies at Spala

The Tsarevich played separately with his attendant Derevenko. He sometimes had the youngest son of Golenko as a playmate, who was called Nicholas, age 10. He often would go, with the Emperor, for rowing on the ponds. On the first day, the Imperial Family had only been at Byelvyezhe for a half hour when the Emperor provided this pleasure for his son. Whenever the Emperor could not, for whatever reason, accompany the Tsarevich, Derevenko would row him.
Derevenko, a brave boy as we already said, yet very limited, very consciencetiously watched over the Tsarevich, yet would forget during their play the point at which point he had to remember about the dangers which might harm him. It is probable that he did not know the nature and gravity of the hereditary disease that the Tsarevich suffered from. The thing the child really lacked was an intelligent and cultured teacher. The last time they really spoke about the need to give him a teacher like that, they had even put forward the names of Dyedyuline, Tchagine, and Drenteln. However the Empress hesitated. She did not want to bring a new man into the family, and so nothing changed.
However, at Byelovyezhe, Derevenko was not able to prevent harm to the Tsarevich. One day, while he was taking his bath, the boy began to engage in all kinds of mischief. It was a large porcelain bathtub, sunk into the floor and which one got into by several steps on each side and the bathtub had a fairly sharp edge all along its top. The Tsarevtch had climbed onto the edge of the bathtub wanting to show Derevenko how the sailors on the Standardt would jump off the side of the yacht into the sea to go swimming. He jumped and fell onto the side of the bathtub. It hurt him, but without doubt the pain was not very great because he did not say anything afterward. However, only a few minutes later, he lost conscience and they carried his nearly inanimate body to his bed.
This accident in a healthy boy would not have had any unfortunate results, but it was for him, who suffered from hemophilia, the start of many severe complications that could never be totally healed. He was bleeding severely internally.
As always, the illness was assiduously hidden to the entourage. They did not feel it necessary to call in a specialist doctor. They put him totally under the care of the family doctor, Botkin. It was the Empress herself who directed his treatment. They cancelled the concerts which the Cavalry Regimental band, whose squadron formed the military guard of the Palace, would give during lunch and dinner. The Tsarevtich was very upset at that, begged them to resume the concerts, but his request was in vain.
When he became better, a Cossack from the escort was ordered to carry him around in his arms. The child suffered greatly and everyone felt his illness.
So it was under these conditions which we left Byelovyezhe for Spala on September 16th. In leaving, the Emperor told Golenko that he would return to hunt the next year and, probably accompanied by Emperor Wilhelm.
The Imperial Train, handsome and smart, arrived at the "Oleni" train stop. Blackness all around, a wood, a small village.
By the platform, decorated with flags and greenery, a squadron of His Majesty's Lancers from the Varsovye garrison was at attention. On the platform was the Manager of the Hunt, Count Vyelepolski, several of his subordinates, representatives of the Administration, generals and a deputation of peasants wearing Polish national dress.
After saluting everyone, the Imperial Family went by car to the hunting palace that was several versts away from the train stop. They followed a magnificent road, built by the administration of the hunt. In any possible direction one turned, one could see nothing but forest.
After about fifteen minutes they arrived at the Palace. The Palace, an ancient wooden building, with a very dark ground floor, was built on a great open field surrounded by forest. A new building was next to it, which looked like a hotel, which was for use by the suite, and a commons. All of it was had something so 'non-Russian' about it that it was a bit shocking to those who were arriving from the interior of Russia.
Fifteen "numbers" or so generally took part in the hunts. In addition to the people of the suite who came with the Emperor, they invited guests. This time they had invited the old commander of His Majesty's Lancers, Prince Byelosselski, Governor General Skalon took part in many hunts and they even invited, for a short time, Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholaiovich who was put up in the Palace at Skernevitz.
On days when they did not hunt, the Emperor took long walks on foot. They organized many skeet shoots as well. The Emperor did not like to shoot pigeons, and so he preferred to shoot skeet. In skeet shooting, the Emperor was most distinguished for his remarkable precision and had very few equals. One of the Vyelyepolskis was also known to be an excellent shot as well.