Chapter four

YAY ;D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was cold when Fallenfeather awoke, two days after the incident with the ceiling fan, lying in bed next to Smack Down, who was snoring softly. The last two days had gone as usual; she got a blow there, a hit here. She had two more bruises added to her body, one on her shoulder and one that shaded her briefcase CutieMark with a purple haze. Squinting her eyes against the weak sunlight streaming in from the window, she looked outside to see that the windows were slightly fogged. She snuggled back under the blanket, shivering. She kept her eyes focused on the wall on her side of the bed, wondering if that was as cold as the rest of the room.

                She looked up when her door creaked open and Fluttershy stepped in timidly. “Good morning, sweetheart.” Fallenfeather whispered. Fluttershy smiled, her eyes still looked dreary with sleep, muttered back a greeting.

                Careful not to wake the sleeping stallion beside her, she slid out of bed and ushered her daughter out of the room and down the stairs. She walked into the kitchen, and as she opened the fridge, she felt a whole of laziness open in her stomach. They had plenty of food for breakfast: toast, eggs, tofu bacon, everything, but something inside made her want to cry at just the thought of dragging the ingredients out of the fridge, setting them out, measuring amount, and washing dishes. She closed the fridge, closing her eyes as it made a soft thud as it closed. Opening them again, she stepped lightly into the living room, where Fluttershy sat. “Let’s go out for breakfast!” she said in a chipper voice. Fluttershy looked up, her turquoise eyes brightening. Smiling, Fallenfeather nudged her daughter to her hooves.

                Fluttershy lifted herself into the air confidently. She was getting used to flying by now, her wings pumped strongly and her back was arched perfectly. She’d be ready for Flight Camp in a couple of days. “Where should we go?” the yellow filly asked.

                The orange mare thought for second, allowing her pink mane to fall into her eyes. There was a diner in Clouds Dale they could go to, it was nice and had a warm atmosphere. Although, on a Sunday morning it would be loud and busy. Fluttershy wouldn’t like that; she enjoyed quiet restaurants, with the usual clutter of silverware on plate, the occasional call from the kitchen staff. She’d never taken Fluttershy to the ground before. Fluttershy would love it down there; the little filly’s eyes had widened in wonder when she’d been informed about the creatures there. Still, it was too early for her filly to go to the ground. As wondrous as it was, it dangerous, and there was no way she or her beloved daughter could handle something as big as a bear or Manticore. Her talent was negotiating, not animal caretaking!

                “Let’s just fly around town and see if we can find something that sounds good.” She decided. She opened the door and held it open for Fluttershy, who smiled and flew out. She followed slowly, closing the door behind her. She stepped lightly onto the soft cloud path that led from their home and into the city. Fluttershy hovered at her head, chatting sweetly about her friends and what she thinks her special talent might be.

                “It could be singing; I’ve always been kind of good at it!” she thought out loud.

                “You really are, dear.” Fallenfeather chimed in truthfully.

                “Ooh! Or perhaps it could something to do with legal stuff, like yours!” Fluttershy exclaimed, dropping down to walk beside her mother. “I could be a lawyer, like you! Or maybe a judge.” She kept on. Fallenfeather smiled as they walked, listening to her daughter’s beautiful voice. Don’t grow up too fast; stay like this as long as you can, please!  She silently begged her filly.

                Her green gaze swept throughout the town, looking at the different restaurants they could visit.  Neigghyborly Cookin’? No. Sweet Hooves? Nope. She stopped when her eyes spotted a small building. It wasn’t very busy, and it looked brand new, as if it had just been built. On the canopy above the door way were the words Wing It! in large, red letters. She took a few steps closer and peered inside. A few ponies sat in a couple of booths, chatting carelessly. Music whispered through the window and into her ear canal. It was soft, but still had a lively beat to it. The servers looked in good spirits; Fallenfeather could see their smiles reaching into their eyes. This was it; this was where they would eat. “Fluttershy,” she looked back at her daughter, who was standing on the sidewalk admiring the dress of a fancy looking mare who walked by seconds before. “Fluttershy,” she said again. The filly looked up. “We’re eating here, dear.” She said. Her daughter livened up and galloped over, her small hooves not making any sound on the clouds.

                As the mother and daughter approached the double doors, a handsome stallion opened the door for them. He smiled at them, and Fallenfeather felt an unexpected chill go through her. Green eyes met blue as they stared at each-other for a long moment. “Right this way, miss.” He said. Fallenfeather snapped out of her trance and blinked. Fluttershy was looking at her strangely.

                “Uh, Mommy?” Fluttershy said, tilting her head. She waved a small yellow hoof. Clearing her throat, Fallenfeather smiled back at the waiter.

                “I’m fine, dear.” The orange Pegasus assured her daughter, not looking away from the sturdy stallion. The waiter grinned and led them to a small corner booth. Fallenfeather thanks him as they sit and watches wistfully as he walked away. She admired him from afar, however. He was strongly built; his muscles rippled underneath the brown coat. His mane was beige with black stripes and it fell adorably into his sparkly blue eyes.

                Fluttershy was studying the menu carefully. “I’m gonna get apple cider!” she exclaimed. Fallenfeather looked at her daughter happily, glad she was in such a good mood.

                “That sounds good; I think I’ll get the same.” She flipped open her own menu and her mouth watered at the pictures of food. Everything from tofu sausage to sage laden soup was there. “Dear, it may be breakfast time, but you can get whatever you like,” she eyes her daughter mischievously. “I know I’m not settling for pancakes or eggs.”

                Fluttershy giggled and turned a page in her menu. “Oooh, this looks yummy.” She flipped the menu toward her mother and pointed at a picture of a steamy plate of steak, as fake as every piece of meat in Equestria, with mashed potatoes, brown gravy and a delicious looking house salad. It did look yummy.

                “Ah, ma chérie bon choix.” Fallenfeather said, admiring the picture, hoping her daughter could translate what she’d said. All Pegasus ponies were born with the natural ability of being multi or bilingual. She herself could speak only English and French, while Fluttershy spoke English, French, and German.

                Fluttershy wasn’t fooled. “You just said ‘Ah, good choice sweetie.’ Didn’t you?” she said with a smirk on her adorable face.

                Fallenfeather laughed. “Oui.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AH, AH? A little love interest for Fallenfeather, I can't decide on a name for the stallion, anyone have an idea? I also read through the story and found I haven't really made clear what Shy's parents looked like.

Fallenfeather is orange with lime green eyes and a mane the same color as Shy's. Her mane is parted down the middle, and it goes to about her shoulders and it curled at the tips. Het tail the same way. Her CutieMark is a briefcase, stating her special talent to be something that has to do with the justice system, like being a lawyer.

Smack Down is a large red stallion with a yellow mane. No, he isn't Big Mac, I just noticed that is how he might look like. He has blue eyes, and his CutieMark is a pair of boxing gloves. Hope this might make the story a bit more vivid.