You're My Favourite Place

Crevan was four years old now and at the beginning of spring, Geralt thought it was a good idea to let our son ride Roach for the first time – under his watchful eyes of course and with him very, very close by.

"Are you sure about this?" I asked the little fox, who wasn't as little anymore, and very similar to his father now, becoming more and more like Geralt with every passing day.

"Yea, Mummy!" he exclaimed excitedly, shaking his little wooden sword that Geralt had made him through the air, "I wanna be like daddy."

I crouched down in front of him, letting him jump on my back. "You're a bit too young for that, little fox," I laughed as I gave him a piggy-back ride outside, where Geralt was adjusting Roach's saddle, securing the girth strap for the third time. I sat Crevan back on the ground and he handed me his sword, before running over to his father. Chuckling, I walked after him and into the stable, putting a harness on Shadow and leading her out, tying her to the fence before getting her brushes. I groomed her quickly, and put saddle and bridle on her.

"Can you have an eye on her for a moment?" I asked Geralt once I was done. He only nodded and turned back to our son, while I went back in the house, packing a bag with cups, a pitcher, plates and a cake I had baked the day before. We had planned a little surprise for Crevan: a picnic in the forest, by the stream. Since his birthday was in the deepest winter, we thought we could celebrate it now, kind of – not that we hadn't celebrated on his birthday, but we still wanted him to have something special. Especially because Geralt had to leave soon.

When I came back out, I was met with the sight of two impatient men staring at the door, waiting for me. Geralt cocked a brow and crossed his arms over his chest when I exited and pulled to door shut behind me, using my magic to close the latch on the inside. I gave him a look that – I hope – said 'there, locked it. Like back then', to which he only smirked, shaking his head slightly.

"Mummy, hurry up!" Crevan giggled.

"And if I don't?" I teased, laughing, as I leaned back against the door.

With the smirk on his face growing darker, Geralt started walking towards me. He took the bag from me and just when I thought he was about to turn, he lifted me up and put me over his shoulder, walking us back to our son and the horses. I laughed the whole way, squirming against my husband's grip.

"Let me go," I giggled.

"No," he simply said, "You knew this was going to happen."

Okay, I heard the smile in his voice. Not just a smile, a grin. He was grinning at Crevan while carrying me over to where our fox was standing. They had planned it. The way they had stood there when I came out. Geralt knew how I'd react. I laughed.

Finally, Geralt set me back to my feet and I glared playfully at him. He lifted his hands in surrender, pointing one at Crevan.

"His idea," he chuckled.

"Oh no, don't try that. I know it was you. I heard you, you know," I chuckled, taking the bag from him and securing it to Shadow's saddle. I turned back to my two men. "Ready?"

Crevan crossed his small arms over his chest, taking in the stance his father had when I exited our home, trying hard to cock his brow but failing. He looked adorable and I wanted to laugh, but I didn't want to discourage him.

"We've been waiting for you," he remarked, trying to imitate Geralt's signature growl, but ,again, failed.

This time, I couldn't help but chuckle. I leaned down and flicked his nose, making him bury his face in his small hands. "I got something for your surprise," I started, "but if you're not interested, I can bring it back inside..."