Chapter Fourteen

I make my way on the ground, looking for plants. In the setting sun, I see something gleam in the distance - the Cornucopia. I go slower, more cautious in case someone’s here with me. As I get to the edge of the wood, it’s obvious that the Careers have stock-piled the goods. Which is no problem if there weren’t land mines. Where did they even get those?  Good thing I saw them before I went out. I’m no good without my legs.

I hear voices coming, and quickly merge back into the darkening forest. I start to move back towards where Katniss was last time I left, keeping my supplies of roots and plants plentiful. I’m a few yards behind Katniss’ tree when the anthem starts. I see Katniss sawing a branch. Once the anthem stops, she stops. In the fading night, I can’t make out what she’s cutting. I hear the Careers starting to become restless from waiting around for Katniss.

“I’m bored,” one of the girls whine. She grabs one of the guys and pulls him off to the side, coming towards me. I frantically look for somewhere to hide, but none of the brush is thick enough. I run back a few feet, and come across a large oak tree with a lot of knots for me to pull my self up on. I’m safely above as the two Careers come under and go off on their own. I comfortably sit in one crotch and look towards Katniss’ tree. I hear a rustle of leaves, and see Rue in the tree next to Katniss. She finds my eyes, flashes me a smile, and turns back towards Katniss. From here I see that Katniss is actually cutting a tracker jacker nest; and Rue told her to do it. If it falls, and the Careers don’t notice it until it does, at least one will be dead.

It gets too dark and cold for anything else but sleep. I chew on my roots and quietly pull out the blanket. Thank God the Capitol didn’t give us noisy blankets, which would have been better to find each other. But hey, I’m not complaining.

It’s still night when I wake up to a slight ding - a parachute! I have not idea what it is since I don’t require anything. It can’t be Seneca telling me to die, there are too many Careers left. I reach up and grab it. A note is attached, from Anonymous:

The End is near when flying things cry with into the night.

“Falling leaves, falling leaves,” they cry with might.

Repetition is Key, when the End is near.

But earlier if needed by when one is a Seer.

It’s an old poem that my neighbor used to recite all the time. In the container is a small packet of protein bars. Thank you, Seneca Crane. I know I need more protein, and since I don’t hunt it’s starting to be a problem. I haven’t been able to find any supplements yet, and I the worrying thought was starting to grow bigger. Seneca’s letter is basically saying when the mockingjays cry out “Falling leaves,”  that’s my cue to end my life, unless something happens that I have to do it earlier. 

I awake when Rue is flying through the trees like a monkey, and I know Katniss is almost done with the nest. I pack up and jump down, noiselessly, and go under the canopy. This way, I can escape quickly, but also hide in case the careers come this way.

With a large crash, the nest falls, and the swarm erupts into a gigantic cloud of anger, and they attack the closest person: Glimmer.

She’s engulfed in a moving cloud and a cannon goes off. I come out of hiding once all the Careers take off, screaming, towards the lake, and start walking away from the tracker jackers. Katniss has been stung, but I’m hoping Rue follows my advice and take care of her. She doubles back for one thing she desperately needs: her bow and arrows.