Chapter 1: Tears of Hope

We start the story in Crash Landing On You Episode 16. This is a reimagined version of the episode

Upon hearing that Yoon Se-ri's health worsened and in critical condition, Ri Jeong Hyeok hurriedly run to the Internal Care Unit. As he entered the waiting room, his body froze. Se-ri's parents were surprised to see him there accompanied by the officers from the National Intelligence Service.

Completely shocked by Se-ri's state, Jeong Hyeok started blaming himself and thinking, "If I can turn back time. . .If only I can do that, I wouldn't meet you. You wouldn't get to know me. Then you would be safe and happy. If only I can do that." Tears started falling from Jeong Hyeok's eyes as he faces the reality that he might lose the love of his life.

For the first time in a very long time, he was terrified.

A long loud beep suddenly filled Yoon Se-ri's room. Her vitals started to drop. Her doctor and nurses saw that there was no heart beat and pulse rate.

"Ms. Yoon, can you hear me? Ms. Yoon?", the doctor said as he tries to communicate with her. "Let's start CPR," the doctor instructed the nurses.

Se-ri's mother started breaking down upon seeing that doctor and nurses begin reviving her daughter.

"Get the defibrillator ready," the doctor said. "Got it," the nurse answered.

"We'll begin defibrillation. Charge to 150 joules," the doctor instructed as he started the CPR process.

Realizing that Se-ri is slowly slipping away, Ri Jeong Hyeok's world started crumbling as he witnesses the doctor and nurses trying to save his source of life, strength, and love.

At the doctor's third try to revive Yoon Se-ri, her vitals went back. "It's back," the nurse shouted. "Give her the full amount of oxygen," the doctor said.

Relieved and overwhelmed, Jeong Hyeok pushed his head towards the glass window separating him and Se-ri. He looked at her while trying to utter words but unable to. Tears began falling again as he gives Se-ri gentle nods while whispering to her heart from afar, "Thank you Se-ri for not giving up. Thank you for living. Saranghae Yoon Se-ri."

The doctor informed Se-ri's parents that she is now stable but still needs to be monitored. They expressed their gratitude to the doctor for saving their daughter's life. As soon as the doctor stepped out of the ICU room, Chief Kim of NIS approached Yoon Se-ri parents.

"We heard that she was in a critical condition and thought we should be here," said Chief Kim.

"Thank you", Se-ri's mom said. "I'm relieved it seems like she passed the critical stage", Chief Kim said.

"Then, does he have to leave again," Se-ri's mom asked, referring to Ri Jeong Hyeok. Chief Kim was caught off-guard by her question.

"But her condition might worsen. And she might look for him when she wakes up", Se-ri's mom desperately begging for Jeong Hyeok to be allowed to stay.

"Please see what you can do", Chairman Yoon politely requested. Chief Kim looked into their eyes and nodded to acknowledge their request.

***

For three nights, without sleeping, eating and drinking, Ri Jeong Hyeok stood at the waiting room while looking at Yoon Se-ri and waiting for her to wake up.

"Eoma, she's opening her eyes", Hye-ji (Yoon Se-ri's 1st brother's wife) said as she calls her mother-in-law.

As the sight of seeing Yoon Se-ri slowly gaining her consciousness, Jeong Hyeok smiled with relief. She is now safe and awake.

When Jeong Hyeok saw that Se-ri's head was turning to the window to look at her family and friends, he moved farther to the side, so she won't see him and get distracted.

Se-ri's family and friends were so happy and relieved at her miraculous recovery. While they were rejoicing, Jeong Hyeok silently left the waiting room and prompted the NIS officers that he is now ready to leave. Before taking his step, he looked at Se-ri for the last time and then left.

***

At the NIS Detention Center, the 5th Company Troop members and Jung Man Bok reunited once again. As they were eating their lunch together, they can't help but feel worried about the safety of their Captain. Since they were brought to the detention center, they never heard anything from him or about him.

"Now that we are all together, I'd like us to talk about something important and I want all of us to keep an open mind to what I am going to say", Pyo Chi Su said.

"What is this about?", Jung Man Bok asked.

"Well, let's say that this capitalist country has somehow saw my skills and potential and decided to 'scout' me," Pyo Chi Su braggingly said. Folding his arms, he said, "In American term, I was recruited. They must have thought, "Let's get this handsome elite North Korean soldier".

"Elite my foot, Hmp!", Kim Ju Meok said. "Don't flatter yourself! We we're all asked that question", Ju Meok added.

Surprised Pyo Chi Su said, "Really?". Looking at Geum Eun-Dong, "Even you Eun-Dong".

Munching on some seaweed, Eun-Dong nodded.

"They must have thought I would be lonely if you guys leave me alone," Pyo Chi Su claimed. "But seriously, I have been thinking about it and considering it", Pyo Chi Su said.

"Huuuh?", the other 5th company members and Jung Man Bok were stunned and surprised. They have always looked at their Comrade Pyo Chi Su as someone who is loyal and patriotic to their country.

"I know that Captain Ri won't be able to stay and even if he decided to stay, his family will be put in danger," Pyo Chi Su said. "There are so many people out there who will not stop attacking Yoon Se-ri. I would sacrifice myself to stay behind and look after her so that our Captain Ri won't be worried all the time," he added.

Assuring his Comrades, "Don't worry about me. My parents are already dead. I don't really have anyone to go back to."

Still overwhelmed by the thoughts shared by their Comrade, they all started to think about what he said deeply and went back to eating.