Chapter 7 : In-depth

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?, where are my parents?, I-I'm scared", said a frightened girl in an alleyway.
"Don't worry, we'll be done real soon", said a disgusting voice that made the girl to only cry harder.
"Please I don't know what you are doing. I'm sorry if I caused any trouble. I just wanna see my mom", sobbed the girl.
"Listen missy", said the disgusting voice, "we only want to get something from you and we'll be do-"
"You know, it's not nice to hurt little girls", a voice cut him off.
"You!!. What do you want?"
"Oh nothing really", said the voice as the owner came closer to where they were.
He stopped in front of the frightened girl, kneeling down in front of her and taking her hand in his own. He patted her head and lifted her up from the ground carrying her in a piggyback style.
"If you think you're gonna leave this place with her you've got it all wrong", said the boy who owned the disgusting voice.
"I'm not going to waste my breath on the three of you so I'll say it only once, leave!"
"Like hell we will"
He put the girl carefully on the ground, patting her head and telling her not to worry that she'll see her parents real soon. The girl didn't know what was happening but she nodded and felt safe with the boy.
"Get him!!", cried the boys as they lunged towards him.
It was swift as he didn't want to waste time. He dodged the incoming blow from one of them and kicked him in the stomach, punched the other right in the face knocking him out and finally it remained their leader. The leader brought out a pocket knife from his shirt and lunged towards him. He didn't even flinch as he saw the knife and just used his hand to block which made the knife to stab through his hand. As the knife stabbed through he held it, took it away from the leader and used his left hand to slam his face into the ground immobilizing him, the dark smile never leaving his face.
"Is that it", he said as he picked up the knife, "now, you're dead".
As Finn was about to stab his throat a pair of hands wrapped around his torso.
"Please d-don't kill him", the girl said.
He doesn't know what came over him or what possessed him but when he heard the voice of the girl he dropped the knife and ripped part of his already torn clothes and wrapped it on his bleeding hand.
"Get on. Let me take you to your parents", he said as he carried her on his back.
As they were walking
"What's your name", the girl asked feeling sleepy
"Huh, my name?. Well I don't know. I don't think I have a name", he replied.
"You don't have a name?", the girl asked surprised.
"Yes I don't", he replied
"W-well *yawn* I'm gonna name you F-Finn", the girl said and passed out on his back.
Finn, the boy thought as he took her to the police station.

"Haven't you found her yet?!!!", a fit looking man in his early thirties with blond hair and gray eyes shouted.
"Honey please calm down. Officer please do your best to find our daughter. P-please", a younger looking woman in her late twenties with golden blonde hair and bright blue eyes which were puffy from crying pleaded.
"Mr. and Mrs. Ryder I assure you that my men will find your daughter. We will do everything in our power to bring your daughter back safe and sound", replied the officer whose name was Hannes.
"Chief we've got something!!!", shouted a man from the entrance to the station,
"There's a boy who is coming this way with a girl on his back!!!".
The three of them quickly rushed outside to see what was happening and what they saw brought tears to their eyes. A boy with jet-black hair and pure golden eyes was carrying their daughter towards them. He had tattered clothes with a bleeding arm and looked like he was on the verge of passing out.
"What are you waiting for?", shouted the boy with the remaining strength he had, "h-help her!!". And then all went black.

He woke up in the hospital. White surrounding him as he was confused and didn't know where he was.
"Waakkee upp sleepyhead", a female voice called out to him.
Then it registered, everything that happened yesterday.
He looked to his side and saw his right hand wrapped up neatly in a bandage, he had a hospital gown on and his hair had been tied up into a small ponytail.
"Hey", the girl called out to him.
"Oh hey to you too", Finn replied smiling.
"MOM, DAD, HE'S AWAKE!!", she shouted.
"Do you have to be so loud", Finn said covering his ears
The girl only giggled in response as her parents entered the room.
"Oh thank God", her mother said as she hugged the boy tightly.
"C-can't b-breathe"
"Oh sorry dear", said the woman as she loosened her hold on him still hugging the boy.
She's warm, he thought as he melted into the hug allowing her warmth to overcome him.
"So tell me boy, what is your name?", asked the man who was standing beside the girl.
"My name? I don't have one", the boy replied calmly.
A brief moment of shock went through the room.
"That's not true", replied the girl, "I named you Finn", she said smiling towards the boy.
He was awestruck at her smile. It was nothing like his. Her smile radiated warmth, happiness, appreciation and affection towards him which was in stark contrast to his own dark smile.
"Anna you can't just go around naming people", said the girl's father.
"But it's pretty", said the six year old girl.
This caused the girl's mother to laugh as released him from the hug and sat beside him on the bed.
"I like it", said the boy which caused heads to be turned towards him, "Finn. It sounds simple but it fills my chest with warmth. I-I", he started to cry, "I'm h-happy *sniff* I-I have a name.", he then burst into tears.
"It's okay", Anna said hugging him, "d-don't cry. Y-you'll make me cry too."
"I'm sorry. I'm just really happy", replied Finn.
The two adults looked at each other and nodded their heads before joining the children in their hug.
"Thank you", whispered Anna's mother
"For bringing back our daughter", whispered her father.

Finn will never forget that day, the day his life became meaningful, the day he found love.

*ring*, the ringing of his phone snapped him back to life from his thoughts.
"Morning Anna", he spoke
"Morning Finny", she replied laughing
"What's so funny with the exception of you disturbing my morning sleep and don't call me Finny, please"
"Okay okay. So how long are you gonna take?", she asked
"Probably 20 minutes"
"Pssh, I could do it in ten", she replied cheekily
"Are you challenging me?", Finn asked amused.
"What if I am?", she said in a singsong manner.
"Then you're on. And I'll buy you a bowl of ramen extra spicy if you win"
"Deal", she replied, "oh and Finn"
"Hmm"
"Love you okay?"
"Love you too. More than you know"
"N-no n-need to get all sappy and stuff", she said, her cheeks burning red in color.
"You started it", he said laughing
"S-shut up. Anyway don't be late. Got it? And also...smile for me, okay?
"Okay", he said already smiling genuinely just by hearing her voice.
"And our race begins now", she said finally and cut the call.
Finn could only chuckle at her words as he stood to stretch and do his routine as sleep was totally cleared from his eyes.

Another chapter done . This chapter was a little deep as I wanted to go into more of Finn's character thus bringing about the chapter name. As usual Criticism and reviews are appreciated so feel free to comment your opinions in the comments section below. This chapter was a bit hard to write as I especially felt sad that Finn had to go through all of that. Well that just sets the ground for character development I guess.
Anyways thanks again 🙏 for reading and I'll see you all in the next chapter. So for now bye 👋👋.
(Next chapter: 12th Of May)