47 1/2. Brave the Staircase

Everly huffed and perched her hands on her hips as she watched Steve effortlessly climb the stairs to his apartment. Her brows scrunched together as her eyes filled with determination. She would make it up this staircase if it was the last thing she did. Her left hand latched onto the railing and she used it to pull herself up each of the steps. She tried to put as little pressure on her bad leg as possible as the plastic boot clanked against the wooden floor.

Steve spun around and frowned when he finally reached the top. He cocked his head to the side questioningly, sending his friend a lopsided grin. Her eyebrows were knitted together and she chewed the inside of her lip, her face plastered with concentration. She didn't even bother glancing up at him as she hobbled up the stairs one by one, nearly tripping a few times. He shook his head lightly and started back toward her. Her eyes snapped up at the sound of approaching footsteps.

"No, I got it." She said, her frown only deepening as she stumbled forward. He stopped in front of her and spun around before dragging her onto his back. A giggle pushed past her lips despite trying her hardest to be mad.

"Well, you're slow." He retorted as he began hauling her up the staircase with ease. She sighed, resting her head on his shoulder as her cheeks flushed red.

"I had it." She said annoyedly. Steve carried her all the way over to his front door before finally lowering her to the floor once again.

"I know you did." He smirked, his eyes meeting hers as he reached into his pocket for what she assumed to be the key. She waited patiently, only for him to grab her hand, opening her palm. He dropped the necklace into her hand and her heart fluttered as her eyes flicked between he and the trinket.

"You still have it?" She said breathlessly, her eyes growing wide.

"Of course I still have it" He chuckled, watching with a smile as she clipped the chain around her neck. Her face lit up as her fingers brushed the cool metal, her eyes once again meeting his.

"Thank you, Steve."

A/N

Thank you guys so much for getting this story to 10k reads!!!