𝚏𝚘𝚞𝚛

Começar do início

"So what's your story, kook?" John B asked.

Affinity sat up and propped her head on her hand. "We back to kook now?"

"Okay okay, Affinity, what's your story? Everyone knows your family and their real estate agency that brings in thousands and thousands every day, why the hell are you in the Cut?"

"Fin you don't have to answer that," Kiara softly.

"Why not, Ki? What's she hiding?" JJ pried.

Affinity fell silent for a moment, her stomach churning at the truth that didn't seem like reality yet.

"My parents got a divorce," she finally said.

"So," John B shrugged. "Then your dad should've got a pretty fair cut of the m–"

"That's not how it worked," she interrupted. "The deal was...was that if my father wanted to keep me then my mother got to keep all the money and the house in Figure 8. My father had to dip into his savings to by the house in the Cut and now...well, here we are."

John B's chest tightened up, immediately regretting his urgency to know answers about this girl. "I'm-I'm sorry, no one deserves that," he said shortly.

"It's okay really. My dad and I are pretty happy actually. If I'm being completely honest, this is the happiest I've seen him in a long time."

"Hats off to you guys, most kooks would've cracked," Pope chuckled.

"Thanks, Pope," Affinity smiled.

"If it makes you feel better, it makes you closer to being a pogue," JJ pointed out.

"How do you mean?"

"All pogues got a tragic past, sweetheart. You got your pogue story."

Affinity leaned up against the railing of the boat. "You know my story, what's yours?"

JJ took in a deep breath from his blunt and let out a puff of smoke. "I've been working in my dad's garage ever since I was able to pick up a wrench. My mom dipped when I was really young and my dad and I aren't exactly what you would call friends."

"I'm sorry, JJ," Affinity frowned.

JJ adjusted his hat, pulling it down over his face. "Don't sweat it, sugar."

She turned to Pope. "How about you?"

"My father is well known around here and has earned the respect of many," Pope began.

"Damn straight," JJ intervened. "Heyward can get you whatever you want...legendary if you ask me."

"As I was saying," Pope continued, shushing JJ. "My father built a pretty damn good life for my mom and I, but that doesn't always mean that the color of our skin won't stand in the way of some things."

"Jesus, Pope," Affinity scoffed. "The bastards who say that know nothing, don't listen to them."

A small smile curled over Pope's lips. "Thank you, Affinity."

"Anytime." She gave him a friendly nudge. "And you John B?"

John B didn't say anything, only keeping his eyes on the horizon, watching the dark storm clouds roll in. Affinity looked to Kiara for help but she only shook her head. Affinity nodded in understanding and stopped talking, but still wanted to learn more about the closed off boy.

"Agatha's coming in, we should probably get to dock," John B stated, completely ignoring Affinity's question.

JJ put his glasses on top of his head. "That bitch is coming in hot, huh?"

"Say no more, get us out of here JB," Pope said uneasily.

John B cranked the steering wheel and turned the boat in the other direction, starting away from the storm that was getting closer. He dropped Kiara off in Figure 8 first and then Pope at his house to be with his family. JJ stayed so Affinity assumed that he didn't have much of a home to go back to. As John B slowed down by the dock near her house, Affinity jumped out of the boat and thanked John B for the ride.

"Stay safe, kook. You don't have generators anymore," he called out before he drove away.

The winds had already started swirling branches and leaves, flipping over hammocks that hung between tree trunks, stirring the waters in the canals. Affinity shielded her eyes and raced down her driveway to her new home. She swung the door open and locked it behind her, panic setting in that this rickety house might fold in this hurricane.

"Dad!"

Mr. Mccormick hurried out from the other room and pulled her into an embrace.

"God I was so worried about you. You're okay right?"

Affinity pulled away. "Yeah yeah I'm fine and the others got home safely."

"Okay, good," he sighed. "How was it?"

She hugged her father again. "Thank you for making me do this today."

He squeezed her back. "Of course, Fin. I'm guessing it went well?"

"As well as it could've gone."

A giant gust of wind blew against their house, causing every board that made up the house to creak. The winds whistled outside as branches beat at the windows and walls.

Affinity took in a shaky breath. "We're gonna be okay right?"

Her father smiled down at her and kissed her forehead. "Ah c'mon, Finny, we've conquered the flaming beast that is your mother. We can handle anything."