blades - farewell

okay I published this in ham's story but now that I got a new book it's time to republish :D

<raine(mc)/aerin after final battle 😭💔>

thank you hyc these are your ideas you're amazing and yes I do owe you

I'll go for they/them pronouns for Raine. Will not mention species. Not specifically romancing anyone except aerin because duh.

"You did it, Raine!" Nia pulled herself to her feet and ran towards them. 

"No, we did it." Raine took her hands in their own, while looking around. The Whitetower throne room was a mess. Dark, shadow flames continued to burn in random corners but were under control. 

"It's... it's over." Tyril, walking over despite being hurt, sighed in relief. "The Shadow Court is banished. Forever." 

"Guess what? We actually pulled this off, huh?" Although wounded, Mal stood up and gave his signature smile. 

"We weren't half bad." Imtura joined in. The party could finally rest now that's it's done. 

Threep emerged from a pile of ashes. "Well! I knew we could do it." 

"Didn't you just scream insults at the princeling while we fought the dreadlord?" Imtura smirked at the nesper, who was basking in satisfaction. 

"Wait, where's the prince?" Mal, alert, quickly darted his eyes across the throne room until he located the figure in the darkened red robes.

"...Aerin." Raine carefully approached the fallen prince, who was on his knees, weakly panting. He glanced up. He was no longer a creature of the shadow, as the dreadlord along with all corruption were sealed back in the realm. His face had returned to what it was when the Nerada Stone was on him. Through his broken robes, Raine could see that the stone was broken. 

"I'm too weak to hurt you anymore. Don't bother." Aerin hissed gently, unable to get up. 

"No." Raine firmly answered, looking into his eyes. "I just want to talk to you."

"After everything? What could you possible have to say to me?"

"Guys, give us a moment?" Raine nodded at their friends.

"It's too dangerous. Let's just go." Nia urged nervously. 

"Why?" Tyril questioned. 

"Look at him. He's still pretty. I can't just leave him like this." Raine laughed bitterly at their own attempt to lighten the mood. 

"Seriously, kit?" Mal shook his head, but ushered the others away.

"Just... keep your distance, okay? You can't trust him." Imtura added before she walked out of the room.

"Of course." Raine answered, eyes never leaving Aerin's while kneeling down.

"It's just us now." 

"I- I'm sorry, Raine." 

"Sorry? You're sorry?" They suddenly stood up, angered, and turned their face away. "After everything, you're sorry? Sorry doesn't change anything! You used us! You kidnapped Nia, hurt all my friends, just for your own power! You used me! I didn't mean anything to you at all, did I? You were just manipulating us for the shards."

"At first, Raine, yes! I needed them! The dreadlord said I had to get the shards to complete the ritual! And only so, could I-"

"So you admit it, then!" Raine shouted out, pain in their eyes. "I can't believe I thought we actually had something between us. I can't believe I was so foolish."

"But we did. We do, don't we? I truly enjoyed the time we spent together."

Raine's eyes softened slightly. "How could you say that, Aerin? You just wanted the shards."

"I thought you were one of those people, simply a bridge between me and power. But you were different, Raine. We- We were different."

"Why should I believe anything you say?" Raine finally turned around, facing him again. 

"I know. You shouldn't."

Raine sat down in front of him and sighed. They locked eyes, and it seemed like there was communication beyond words. All was silent. 

Hesitantly, Aerin reached out his hand. His eyes pleaded for forgiveness- no, that would be too kind. He simply pleaded for an understanding. After a few moments, Raine extended theirs, and held it. A single tear ran down the prince's cheek.

"If I meant something... why didn't you stop back then? It wasn't too late. You could've told us." 

"I thought... I thought I could only be powerful if I did what the shadow court asked. You know me. Always too shy, too timid, always second in line. There was no way I could leave my brother's shadow."

"I can't believe you hid all this."

"What's done is done. You may have won the day, but Raine, my ritual succeeded. The dreadlord will return. And when he does, he will be stronger than ever."

"No. No way, we defeated him!" Panic rose in Raine's voice.

"Raine, please. Be kind to me. And yourself. One last time."

"What do you mean, Aerin?"

"You are important to me. I told you I couldn't hurt you anymore - that's not true. I could. When the dreadlord inevitably comes, he will find me. And I won't be able to resist."

"So, what, you have no self control?" Conflicting emotions filled Raine's face.

"It's not just that. He has powers, Raine. More than you could ever imagine. You have to end it all now. Or I'll be back."

"You mean... either I kill you now, or you come back to kill us?"

Another tense silence filled the room and Raine debated with themselves. There was no choice but to do what they feared most. 

"Okay." Raine picked up the blade of shadow, now torn after the onyx shards were destroyed. They steadied themselves in preparation for what comes after.

"This is farewell, then." Aerin smiled weakly before taking their hand. "Do what you must."

"Until the stars align for us again?" Raine wiped away the tear threatening to fall from their eye, and smiled at the fond memories they shared in the woods. It was exactly what he said when they parted for the first time. And now, they had to part for the last time.

"Goodbye, Raine."