𝗠𝗥. 𝗛𝗢𝗖𝗞𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗧𝗧𝗘𝗥》24

It had been more than twenty four hours.

Henry and the guys still hadn't seen or heard from Patrick.

He wasn't good company to keep, that I knew for a fact. But seeing the missing posters with his face on them popping up around town was starting to make me uneasy. I couldn't think of someone taking Patrick, of him being so defenseless that he really had no way of fighting.

I voice my concerns to Belch on Monday as we walk through the aisles of the market on Costello Avenue. A little after my dad stopped working, Belch would take me to do my grocery shopping every few weeks. It was nice hanging out with him without being under Henry's watchful eye. He also made sure I always ate before I got home which was a nice gesture.

"It just doesn't make sense. No sane person would try to mess with Patrick," I say shaking my head, grabbing a gallon of milk. "Not to mention getting away with it. If you ask me it only makes this whole thing more fucked up."

Belch leans on the shopping cart. "I know what you mean," He says. "It's weird not having him around to talk shit." I laugh in spite of myself.

"Yeah, he's good at that," I point to a bag of sugar. "Get that for me, would you?" We continue down the aisle until we reach the end, nearly colliding with someone coming from the side.

"Oh, sorry man," Belch apologizes to the middle aged man. He looks at him a bit and the two seem to recognize each other.

"Mr. Hockstetter," I turn to the man now. I see Patrick's eyes in his own. His gaze is less crazed, of course.

"Reginald," Patrick's dad says grimly. I give the man a nervous smile. "It's nice to meet you, sir." He doesn't smile back so I just drop mine. He just turns and starts pushing his cart again.

Belch and I exchange a glance before I call out. "Wait!" The man turns slowly as I walk towards him. "I- well, we were just wondering if you've heard from Patrick?"

A troubled expression flashes across his face. "No. I never heard from Patrick even when he was around," I nod before giving the man a shrug. "Well, we'll let you know if we hear anything." He shakes his head.

"Don't bother." With that he leaves and I turn to Belch who has an uneasy expression on his face. "Let's get out of here."

When we get to my house, Belch helps me unload my my groceries before sitting down to eat at the table with me, something I never did anymore unless he was here.

"I mean why would he say that?" I bite into a French fry. "Patrick or not, if my kid was missing I'd be worried sick."

"Well, in case you haven't noticed, he's not exactly an easy guy to be around."

"I know, but still." It got quiet and I hear footsteps approaching. Belch and I turn to see my dad walking into the kitchen.

"Mr. Finley," Belch stands to shake his hand but he just gives him a look before walking right past him. I watch with embarrassment as my dad opens the large bag of Doritos I bought. He leans against the counter and looks at the two of us.

"I see you went grocery shopping," He says sharply. "Playing house now or something?"

I look down and pick at my cuticles. "We needed more food." I say softly. My dad nods and looks around. "No Coors?"

"Dad,"

"I should go-" Belch says nervously. My dad takes the chips and moved to the kitchen entrance. "Don't stop on my account, kid," he shrugged before gesturing to me. "You two can go back to doing whatever it is you do when her other boyfriend isn't around." He stomps out of the kitchen in the direction of his room.