Chapter 6: A Little Too Special.

Suman's pov:

He's an idiot. He has to be.

Who in their right mind jumps over a wall just to ask their classmate about a science project?

Definitely not shravan Malhotra. For a girl, maybe. For science? Never. Its hard to trust him again after all that happened but if I keep holding on to my suspicions then we'll lose whatever chance we have to be friends. So, I let it go and let my thoughts astray.

My gaze flickers to the right corner of the room where he's shoving a few torn pieces of cloth along with broken slivers of plywood aside with his boots to make space for us to sit. he sits down leaving a considerable space between him & the wall gesturing me to join him. A shiver runs down my spine and I clutch his jacket tightly around me.

He watches quietly as I walk over with small steps, my wet clothes feeling like chains around my limbs making every movement evidently difficult. His eyes never leave me till I'm on the floor beside him. I hate it when he watches me like that. It makes me feel small.

I look over at him and he's still looking at me, but not quite. In a swift motion he grabs my wet hair in between his fingers & gently shove them aside so they are sprawled out on his jacket. He tucks the rest of it behind my ears as the tip of his fingers brush slowly against the back of my neck. There's something about his touch that feels strange, a good kind though. I'm still reminded of his intense gaze on me but the way his fingers move so softly puts me in a trance. This kind of gentleness is something I would have never expected from him but here we are.

A loud thunder brings us to our senses & he moves his hand away hastily.

His cheeks look flushed as if I'm not one who should be blushing. ''you would have caught cold that's why...'' he lets his words fade away.

''so, science project huh?'' I try to melt away the thick layer of ice around us.

''yeah, but I also wanted to see you that's why.'' He looks uneasy expecting an outburst from me after his little confession. Strange enough, I don't feel angry. I wanted to meet him too. I mean friends are supposed to miss each other, right?

You don't miss devika or Aneesh though.

I push the thought aside. Kanchan's nonsense is eventually getting in my head.

''to bata dete naa, I would've told papa ke tum bhi aa rhe ho hme join krne. Ese piche ke raaste se kyu aana. Its good that I saw you agar varun ya ghar ka koi bada dekh leta then abhi tumhara court marshall ho rha hota''

His shoulders tense at my words. ''varun. Bohot acha friend hai tumhara?''

''kind of. We don't talk often these days but jab bhi milte hai we gel really well together.''

''seriously sumo? sometimes I hate that you're too good of a person to lie'' he looks pissed, god knows why.

''why would I lie? '' I defend myself.

''leave it'' the uneasiness in his voice unsettles me.

The nervousness in his eyes drag the next few words out of my throat.

''I don't know what it is about him that's bothering you but vo kuch hours mai chala jayega. So be patient mr. malhota and stop acting like a jealous kid jisse apne friends share krne se bhi problem hoti hai''

At this, he turns to face me and leans in, his face that was minutes ago protruding a gentle smugness now holds no evidence of humor. '' friends share kar skta hun. Tumhe nhi. You're too special.''