Wait, Harry Reads?

Start from the beginning

"Ron knew?" Harry exclaimed, shaking his head. "Then how the fuck did I not know?"

Hermione snorted and just patted his knee. "You just didn't know what to look for, and it's taboo to be told that you're a creature's mate before you figure it out yourself," she comforted, before nodding her head towards the book. "I'm glad you've decided to read up on it. Now go on and read."

Just hearing that, Harry groaned. That book was bigger than any other he had ever seen— what had he gotten himself into?

As soon as Harry was sitting on his bed with the drapes down and covering him from all around, he opened the book to the table of contents.

He decided to skip the history of creature inheritances purely out of indifference and the fact that it was fifty pages. Instead, Harry flipped to the vampire page on page 742— he still had a suspicion Tom was a vampire, and until told otherwise by the man himself, he wouldn't sway his opinion.

A vampire inheritance is almost identical to a demon inheritance (p. 560), other than a few minor differences.

Vampires, alike all the other inheritances, are inherited on the witch or wizard's seventeenth birthday.

In the same fashion as many creatures, vampires have tiny fangs in their human form and slightly bigger ones in creature form, however the fangs vampires have are significantly bigger than any other creature's, other than a Veela's (p.394).

Well, Harry thought, that made sense. Tom did have fangs, ones that Harry himself had seen frequently and ones that had even grazed Harry's own lips on a few occasions the other day.

Fangs are where the similarities with most creatures seem to fade. The key appearances that differentiate between vampires and other creatures are bright red eyes in creature form. Every creature has a certain eye colour when they turn, and vampire's have scarlet eyes.

It is common knowledge to anyone who studies creature lore that vampires and demons are incredibly similar. While vampires only have scarlet eyes and large fangs, demons have a darker crimson eye colour and horns near the top of their forehead. These differences are how vampires and demons are separate.

Huh. Harry frowned, thumbing the ancient pages as he studied the pages. When Tom had come over with the bacon for the Gryffindor table a few months ago, Harry had sworn he saw his eyes flash a deep red. But a deep red would mean he's a demon, not a vampire.

Harry couldn't be wrong, though. Could he?

Vampires are a very dominate creature, along with demons and dragons. Although this can be taken a solely sexual way by many witches and wizards, this characteristic means that they are more likely possessive, protective, and territorial over their mate and family. Even though this may relate to a sexual nature, their dominant side mainly only shows when their family or mate/mate bond is threatened.

A vampire's mate is usually more submissive than the more dominant partner. The mate may be a creature as well, usually a fae (p. 891) or Veela, however there's no current statistic on the chances of having a mate that is also a creature.

The longer a vampire is without its mate, the more hysterical, impulsive, and short-tempered they become. There have been a multitude of cases where a vampire has killed a perceived threat before purely out of instincts. Although these actions are justified under creature laws, it is unfortunate that it happens.

Harry's eyes widened. Hopefully Tom hadn't killed anyone. He wouldn't, would he?

Also, murder is justified? That was new.