"Really?" I frowned. "And the price of vimroot went through the roof shortly after it was banned, right?"

Peyla looked at me oddly. "Why do you say that?"

"I've got the journals of a few Lords who speculated about that sort of thing. They were involved in selling commodities oversees, inter-city trade routes, shipping lanes, that sort of thing. Making something illegal is usually enough to quadruple what people are willing to pay for it. Similar stuff happens in Vereet, where merely drinking alcohol can get you hanged. A decent bottle of wine can fetch upwards of two hundred gold."

"Well, it's not the same where I come from," she said, sniffing dubiously. "Most folk simply do without. The prices of such things are of no matter."

"If you say so," I smiled. "So, shall we start on the West side and work our way South-east? I know I've got a few tea and candle shops in your quarter that are probably open."

"That's as good a starting point as any," she agreed.

Peyla, myself, and the two knights escorting us loaded ourselves into a waiting carriage bearing the Haraelian royal crest, and we were soon on our way.

I didn't engage in much conversation as we drove, preferring instead to observe the buildings as they flitted by, watching the shopkeepers light their torches and ready their displays as they prepared for another long day hawking their wares. After a while I began to recognize certain shops and streets, and shortly after the carriage came to a stop.

We sent the carriage away and walked up to our first stop - a small, run-down oil and herb shop, owned by a short, wizened old woman who was wearing a dark brown kerchief on her head, and who looked much more awake than I felt just then.

The shop owner watched us approach, nervously cleaning her hands on her smock and giving the four of us a forced smile.

"Milord," she said, bobbing her head in my direction briefly. She considered the two Crown Knights. One was holding two pieces of rolled-up parchment, one of which was a street map documenting the location and businesses that paid me tribute every month. The other knight carried a familiar ledger under one arm and an empty leather satchel in the other. "Interest you in anythin', sir knights? I got some felberries, fresh as can be found. Picked 'em myself not a day ago."

"Unfortunately, these men are here on business, my good woman," I said, waving a gesture at both knights. "Gentlemen, could you please state the reason for our visit?"

The taller of the two knights pulled out an official-looking piece of parchment, unrolled it, and after clearing his throat began to read the prince's edict from the previous day. As he read, I studied the shopkeeper's face. She looked confused at first, and then her expression hardened into one of annoyance. By the time the knight with the journal read the amount they wished to collect from her, she was scowling at both knights furiously.

"Alas, I fear the Prince was not quite as receptive to my new rent idea as I'd hoped," I said with a sigh once both knights had finished speaking. "It appears that the tribute I'm charging you must be returned to the amount it was before our Pitch Day meeting, sad as that makes me. However, this is hardly your fault, I think, nor is it particularly fair that you have to shoulder this burden so unexpectedly. And so, instead of having to fork over the, uh-" I turned and faced the ledger-bearing knight. "How much did you say her tribute was just now?"

"Twenty-four gold marks," he replied.

"Yes, thank you. Instead of being forced to pay the twenty-four gold marks yourself, I would be honored if you would allow me to pay it in your stead," I said, my hands already rummaging through the satchel of coins I'd brought with me for the appropriate amount.