Chapter 2

(**Important Author's Note at the end! Please read!)

As the lights dimmed, you could hear countless fans screaming. The place was packed. Not a visible spot empty. The stage behind me was black. How did i know this? There was no heat radiating from behind me and the people in front of me were barely visible. As it started to quiet down, you could hear distant fan girls screaming still. I was going to have a massive headache by the end of this. I should have taken some Tylenol before this whole thing. Oh well. 

I felt vibrations under my feet as the speakers blared the beginning of an upbeat song. The crowd erupted into a fit of screams. I tuned all of my attention towards the crowd, doing something that one of my high school friends taught me. They were a lifeguard at our local water park. They called it the 10/20. Basically what it was, you had 10 seconds to scan your section and have 20 seconds to activate your EAP (Emergency Active Plan). Only in my case, i had 5 seconds to scan my section and have 3 seconds to act. So call it my 5/3. People started pushing towards the front as Tyler began singing. It was only a matter of time before someone got hurt. The song went on and everyone was singing the lyrics. I noticed how people began pushing against the barrier. Someone was defenatly getting hurt tonight. The song soon ended, the crowd screaming as they transitioned into the next, even louder screams were heard as they soon found out what song it was. Oh i knew this one. It was on the radio for a bit. As soon as Tyler sang the words the arena filled with them singing back to him. 

I scanned my section, focusing on the safety of the people in front of me. As soon as i saw that it was getting packed or an unfortunate soul was being crushed by the ensemble of piling bodies, i did my best to help them by either telling people to move back or getting them out. It was always so heartbreaking because the people behind them knew what they were doing, I was sure of it by the time i had moved 15 people out, and it was literally not even 10 minuted in to the concert. But i knew that they wanted to be as close to the stage as possible. I mean who wouldn't want to see their idols that close to you? As soon as the song ended the next one started. Same with each song after that. I had to help quite a few people out. It really wasn't my ideal way of spending my night as i knew i would be sore and not want to work tomorrow. But who's problem was that? Mine, but not.

The night went pretty smoothly other than the fact that i had to keep pulling people out of the pit. At least it was until the duo got to one of their slower, and quieter songs that wasn't so up beat. It was more instrumental, per say. 

"Security." I went into action, searching for where the calls were coming from. 
"Security," Again, but where. Still searching for where the voices were coming from.
"Security," Where?
"Security," Again, but where. I promise. I'm looking, i swear!
"Security!" This one was more distinct. It was somewhere near me. 
"Call out again!" I yelled back. 
"Security!" I dove into the pit, Tyler must have noticed because he stopped the song. 
"Woah, woah. Stop. Hold on. Turn the lights on." He said, standing up from the song he was playing. 
I was in the pit looking for the person in need. I was soon directed to where i was needed. I pushed through a few people as I made my way to the person. 
"What's going on?" Tyler asked. I had just gotten to the person. It was a female. She was passed out in a man's arms. 
"Ok. Listen i need everyone to give me space. Move!" I said to everyone that had their attention on the girl. Everyone moved as i turned my attention to the male. "Ok, what i need you to do is place her on the floor slowly and carefully. We don't know what kind of injuries she has." He nodded in response as he laid her down on the floor. 
"What's happening?" Tyler asked. He was genuinely concerned. You could hear it in his voice. Someone close to the stage filled him in on the details. He jumped down and hopped over the barrier. He came closer to me. "Anything i can do to help?" He asked. I turned my attention towards him as i saw that the girl was placed gently on the floor. 
"Yea, you can get me back up, a backboard and some wet cloths. She most likely over heated and passed out." I shot at him. He turned and made his way back toward the barrier as Josh hopped over. 
"Is she ok?" He questioned. I had no idea. I wasn't allowed to touch her or anything. Even though her life might be on the line i was in no way qualified for that kind of work.
"I have no idea. I think she just over heated and passed out. We just need to cool her down and she'll be fine." I informed him. Sebastian soon came over with everything i had asked for.  "Check her vitals, Seb. I'm not qualified." I said, strictly. This girl could have just died from cardiac explosion and we wouldn't know. 
"Yes your majesty." He bowed. 
"This is no time to play games. You know what, move. Tell me what to do." I spat as i knealed over the girl. 
"Sit above her head. Your going to want to use your two fingers to check for pulse and breathing. So do that. Lean in real close so you can hear."
"Alright. EVERYONE SHUT UP." I yelled. Everyone around me got quiet. 
"If you don't feel a pulse in 10 seconds, we have to call EMT's," Seb stated. I nodded in response as i leaned down and checked for those two things. I felt a pulse but there was no breathing. 
"She's not breathing." I stated firmly. I had watched Seb do this a couple of times but i had never done this nor had i ever expected to. A few gasps and 'Omg's' were heard. I brushed it aside, knowing that my main focus was this girl. Seb started pulling out something from his bag. It was one of those breather bags and a mask. He quickly handed it to me. 
"Find the point in her jaw. Place two of your fingers, preferably middle and ring, on either side of it and lift up and tilt back so you can open her airway." He said as he slightly demonstrated. I did as was instructed. He got closer and placed the bag over her nose and mouth. "Now place your thumb here and your index like your pointing out. You do this so it keeps it secure." I nodded and did as told. "Now count 1 one thousand 2 one thousand 3 one thousand 4 one thousand and then breathe. This is where i squeeze the bag. Here's the initial breath." He says as he squeezes the bag. The chest should have risen and fallen. But id didn't. I looked at Seb and started freaking internally. "It's ok. Just re-tilt her head and reseal the mask." I do as told and Seb gives it another squeeze. It went in. I begin counting silently to myself. He squeezes the bag again, i count louder to justify myself that i was going at a steady pace. Nothing around me matter more than saving this girl's life. When he squeezed a third time i heard people start counting with me. The intensity of the volume increased as we got like 15 breaths deep. I directed my attention to Seb as we now had like half of the arena counting for us. 
"How long do we do this?" I asked him. 
"Two minutes. If you feel a pulse and she's breathing, we can move her." I nodded as i put my attention back to the girl. Those two minutes felt like eternity. Seb tapped my shoulder to get my attention. "Two minutes is almost up. Two more breaths and you gotta check her." I nodded. I looked at Tyler Motioning him to come forth. He did and leaned down so he was within hearing distance of me. 
"When i look at you i need you to quiet them down so i can hear her breathing." I told him.
"Got it." He said as he went back to the stage. He stood there, eyeing me down. 
One more breath. One one thousand two one thousand... Look. I made eye contact with Tyler. 
"Hey." He said in the mic. "Shh... just for a second. Stop counting." By the time he had finished his statement, I had removed the mask from the girl and leaned down to try and hear her. 1..2..3..4.. nothing..5..6...7.. Nothing still.. 8.. 9.. 10.
"No breathing," I say as Seb hands me the mask again. I tilt her head up while lifting her jaw to open her airway as Seb squeezes the bag again. The breath went in. Let the counting commence again. Once the two minutes were about to be up i looked at Tyler again, who still stood on the stage, with is arms crossed and worry spread across his features. I shot him another look and he took the hint to quite down the arena again. I bent down and listened again. 1..2..3..4..5...6..nothing..7..8..9..10.
"Pulse but no Breathing," I stated again. I had the process down by now. People started to get ansy around me. I could feel it. What if i got to her too late. I should have just done that the second i got to the scene. We repeated the process yet again. Tyler quieted down the audience, i checked for pulse and breathing. Still nothing. We repeated this process 3 more times until i finally came up with the words;
"Checking for pulse and breathing. We have a pulse and breathing." Relief washed over the whole arena as cheers could be heard. The back board was rushed over and as soon as we got her situated on there and moved out, the place erupted in a fit of more cheers. 
"Can everyone give it up for our amazing team?" More cheers. "We're gonna get right back in track, so lets see.. where did we leave off?" He said as the track began playing again. By the time he started singing, we were already back stage by the time the show resumed.
We got her into a back room and started cooling her off as well as inserting an IV in her arm so that she would be hydrated. I took some Tylenol while i was back there as well as some Mydol to help with my later aches and pains. Seb eventually came back, i had assumed he got someone to take his post. 
"Hey, what's up?" I said as he came in the room. 
"Checking on you. Well her too, but yea. I wanted to come back and tell you that the show is almost over and we need you out there." He said.
"Do you really need me out there? Or are you just saying that so when the EMT's get here, you don't get in trouble because I'm the one who stepped into action."
"We need you out there."
"I'm not moving. That girl's life was on the line and you just stood there like she was just sleeping. Yea, no. I don't mean to get all bitchy at you and all, but like, i'm standing my ground. What if she didn't have a pulse and died of cardiac explosion? We wouldn't know because your ass was standing there like a dip ass."
"Those are all what if's. That didn't happen."
"And if it did, it would have been on your hands for not going into action asap."
"And if she did die, you would have said it was all your fault. People would have blamed you for killing her because you are NOT qualified. You did what you were qualified for and then go off and do something risky like that?"
"Cause you let me! You didn't objectify the idea!"
"Even if i did, you would have still done it."
"When something happens like the events tonight, you know that i go into fight mode. I do what i need to do to make sure the person is alright. I'm sorry if i overstepped, but like i said, you didn't objectify. You told me exactly what to do. Now to settle me down, let me stay with her. To make sure that she is ok." I paused. Seb said nothing. "The least you could do is go see if she had any family or friends who are worried about her."
"Fine." He said as he walked out the door.
"This is why you should tell Gerry to never assign me security shifts." I called back to him.
"Yea. Whatever Rayne."
"Whatever to you too." I said under my breath. I turned my attention back to the girl. I wasn't the only one in the room. There were people hooking her up to a portable heart monitor, amd putting on what is called a non-rebreather mask. It something that allows you to breathe in fresh oxygen and not be able to breathe in what you breathed out. As soon as she was all set up, every one stepped away and just kind of watched as she slowly got better.