Monsters

"'Cause my monsters are real, and they're trained how to kill"

*A/N*

Just another book idea I've been thinking of. Don't know yet if I will turn this into a full book or not

Everyone person on Earth was assigned a guardian angel at birth. The angel would arrive the first night and place its mark on the newborn, promising to protect them their whole life.

There was one child with a different life. Her parents placed her in her nursery and night and waited by the door for the angel to arrive. Instead, they were horrified to see a dark creature suddenly appear into the nursery and approach their baby. It had long black hair, black eyes, but pale skin. The mother tried to intervene, but the father stopped her in fear of what it would do.

The two watched as the demon slowly picked up the newborn. He held her carefully in his arm, his black eyes staring down at her. He slowly raised his other hand up to the baby. The mother couldn't watch. Her father watched closely as he creature placed his claw on her arm and slowly moved it down, leaving his mark on the baby. The same spot the angel was supposed to leave it's mark. As far as they knew, the child was doomed.

*Years Later*

It's been years since that creature last shown himself. He was in her life often the first few years before her family finally scared him off.
"Sam!" Her now annoyed mother called her name for the fifth time. "You're going to be late!" 
The teen sighed and grabbed her backpack before heading downstairs. She was tired of waiting for him.
"Coming mom" she said as she joined her siblings in the living room.
"Put a jacket on before you leave" her dad said as he pointed to her arm.
"But it's hot out" Sam whined, ready to just go.
"You can't let anyone see your arm" mom through a jacket at Sam and made her put it on. She unhappily gave in and put the jacket on before joining her siblings on the bus to school.

Sam still thought it was hot out so she took off her jacket and wrapped it around her waist. She stepped off the bus and broke away from her siblings to head to class. Before she could enter the building, two boys stood in her way.
"What's that on your arm?" The first boy asked.
"Doesn't look like an angelic mark to me" the second one added.
"It's just a scar" Sam mumbled as she tried to push past them. The first boy pushed her down to the ground.
"I've seen that mark in books. Your a demon. Aren't you?"
"Not a very scary monster, is she?" Laughed the second boy as he kicked Sam in her side.
"Leave me alone. I said it's just a scar" she cried out. The boy went to kick again so she crawled away. Her back pressed up against the wall, she closed her eyes as the two boys got closer.

Suddenly, there was a plume of black smoke between Sam and the two bullies. They backed off, tripping over each other as they tried to get away. Sam opened her eyes to see him step out of the smoke. Her guardian. He looked very different from when she last saw him, his hair was much shorter and lighter and he was covered in tattoos. Maybe they were just hidden earlier, but he definitely looked different. It was his voice Sam recognized.

"Leave her alone" the demon growled as he stepped closer to the boys.
"Y-yes sir" the first boy trembled as he spoke. They both took off running into the school.
"Brent? Is that really you?" The demon turned around the face Sam, who was now standing.
"Hey Sam. Did you miss me?" He asked. Sam smiled for a moment before feeling hurt.
"Why did you leave me Brent? I needed you" she whined. Brent shook his head.
"I've been watching you this whole time. The older you got, the more I knew my presence put you in danger. Sure, those boys ran off, but their angels would've killed me and possible hurt you to get to me"
"You look different" Sam said as she touched his arm, studying the tattoos. He always covered his arms in sleeves in the past, so she couldn't tell if they were new or not.
"Had to better myself to keep up with you" he chuckled. "You may not have seen me, but I was always there"
"Promise me you won't leave again"
"Sam, I never left. But I'll promise to never abandon you. Even if you don't see me, I'm always around"

"Promise?"
"I promise"