Chapter Nine

I just feel it's getting boring because I see the diminishing comments and it feels demotivating.

Few days later as Nandini came home after work, she kept glancing at her phone every now and then. After the last call that day, they had talked about maybe two or three times after that because them both her and him were busy.

So today she waited for him to call the whole day and if he wouldn't then she will do it herself when she gets time. Post dinner she went to her room and did all the necessary things before sitting on the bed with her phone.

She dialed his number and pressed the phone on her ear. It continued to ring until he had a missed call from her. She frowned and looked at her phone. Should she try one more time? One last time.

She called him again and it rang but no response. Finally on the last ring he answered and before she could speak, he did.

"Nandini if I'm not picking up the call it means that I'm busy over here." He said frustrated and she was totally taken aback by his tone. She couldn't speak or form even a word because this was the first time he had talked to her like this.

He spoke nothing after that and she came to her senses before replying.

"I'm sorry." She replied meekly and then she hung up on him not bothering to wait for his reply. Of course it hurt. She would never want to disturb him when he was busy but she just genuinely wanted to talk to him.

Her phone rang almost immediately with his name flashing but she ignored it, not wanting to talk to him anymore. She knew it was childish and he probably wanted to say sorry but she would make him suffer a little because he deserved it.

After three missed calls he stopped and she frowned looking at her phone. Huh what a rude idiot. Who gives up so fast?

She sighed when he neither called nor messaged after that and felt a little guilty for making him suffer when he was already busy. Deciding to call it a day she kept her phone on the table and slipped into her covers.

Somewhere around midnight her phone rang continuously and it irritated her. She traced her phone with closed eyes and answered it.

"What is it to you? Why are you calling me? Didn't you get anyone else to call to sell your credit card? Let me sleep pleaseee!" She mumbled or rather whined into the phone and someone on the other hand snickered.

"Nandini I'm sure I don't want to sell credit card to you but yes I could sell you something else." Her eyes opened when the person spoke and she blinked them several times to wake up. Then she lazily checked the name and finding it his, she again closed her eyes.

"What is it Manik? Why are you calling so late? Listen I'm telling you I'm not going to buy anything from you and if you want to then call someone else. What sort of salesmanship is this to call at this time? Now let me sleep." She said groggily for she was annoyed when her sleep was disturbed.

"What? Wait Nandini! First of all you need to wake up and see the time. It's only 11.35 pm so it's not that late. Secondly I'm not a salesman calling to sell any product. And
lastly please I want to talk to you or else I won't be able to sleep." He complained in a cute voice and she finally opened her eyes.

She was still sleepy but not that much as she checked the time and he was right, it was only 11.38 pm. She rested her head on the wall behind as she sat up on the bed.

"We could have talked tomorrow Manik." She said quietly and heard him sigh.

"We could have but I couldn't wait for that long and who knows you would have answered my call or not." He replied and she stayed quiet knowing he was right.

"Besides I couldn't sleep and I know I would stay up all night after I talked to you like that." He said sincerely and this time she sighed into the phone.

"It's fine Manik. I understand you were busy and I shouldn't have called you again ─" She was cut off by him in the middle.

"You are making me feel more guilty. You shouldn't be this understanding when all you did was call me, not knowing I would be busy and I talked to you so rudely like a jerk yet you still aren't angry and yelling at me. You have every right to be Nandini." She said nothing after his mini speech and she knew he was waiting for her to take her anger out but she just could not.

"I'm not being understanding Manik. What you said was what I understood but how you said it, was what hurt me. I'm not angry, just hurt." She replied and this time he said nothing.

"I'm sorry. I wish I could come to see you right now!" He sighed disappointedly and she frowned. Why was he bringing that up all of a sudden?

"But why?" She asked confused and he groaned.

"You really are stupid." He said the she felt offended. What the-! How the hell am I stupid when he speaks nonsense.

"But I'm really sorry for talking so rudely Nandini. I know I can't take out the frustration of my work on you and I'll make sure I never repeat this mistake again." He promised and she smiled like an idiot.

"I'll trust you for not breaking your promise." She replied and when he said nothing she checked her phone. Did he sleep?

"I won't break your trust." He whispered and she bit her lip.

"Goodnight Manik." She smiled and he replied immediately.

"Night Nandini. Now I'll be able to sleep peacefully." She could hear him smiling as she ended up the call.

This is the longest chapter I've written till now.