Chapter 2

Clovers POV

It took 4 days of driving for me to arrive. I stopped at a pay phone every 8 or so hours to call mom and let her know that I was still alive. She sounded drained every time I spoke to her, I thought it safe to assume that she probably hadn't left her bed in a while. I stopped a couple of time and took naps in gas station parking lots when I got to tired to carry on, but I never stayed long.

When I finally made it to my grandmothers house it was Sunday morning. The grass was covered in dew and the town looked exactly the way I remembered. I drove slowly down the Main Street of Derry, the old buildings hitting me with a feeling of nostalgia that I hadn't felt in a long time.

Grandma had been sitting on the porch drinking her morning coffee when I arrived and she hurried down the steps to greet me with a big hug. "Look how beautiful you've gotten" she smiled as happy tears poured down her wrinkled cheeks. She had aged since the last time I had seen her, maybe even shrunk a few inches.

She leaned back and pushed my hair out of my face, examining me. "You look just like your dad" her voice cracked before a sob fell from her lips. I hugged her while we both stood there in the driveway. She sniffled quietly as she patted my back. Once the water works had finally subsided she took me inside and onto the kitchen. The smell of fresh baked cookies filled the house. She hurried to pull them out as the timer rang on the counter.

We stood there in the kitchen for what seemed like hours just talking and laughing and catching up. Before long my eyelids started to drop. The drive had been long and tiresome, not to mention my lack of sleep. "You go on up into your room and get some rest baby you've got your first day of school tomorrow." She said giving me one last hug before sending me up the stairs for the night.

Entering the room my grandmother had made up for me, I smiled. She had set fresh Daisy's in a vase on the night stand along with writing me a note and setting it on the dresser. "Ready for new adventures with you" it read. As soon as my head met my pillow sleep over took my mind and for the first time since my fathers death I was able to sleep peacefully.