Chapter 48: Shaynike & Monarec

Start from the beginning

“No no, it’s too dastardly-a plan to not see how she turns out now!”

“What has Fae been saying, or sending to you?” asked Mona.

“Oh, it varies. Some-atimes threats, some-atimes highly inappropriate offers in exchange for my cooperation. I have simply given her my very solemn word that I shall not end up-a with Ella on the night of the Dance.”

“I’ve offered to be Fae’s Plan B,” said Krickgree, favouring them with a toothy smile.

“Oooh, ouch,” said Zak, biting his fist with glee.

“Nice.” Mona clapped her hands once.

“Does Lauresh understand that it might not look good for her when you turn out to be a lousy Plan B?” asked Shay.

Krickgree nodded. “She is aware, yes. In fact, she’s been helping me seed the rumors. You’re okay with this I hope?”

Shay nodded. “Now, as for Affsol surviving the Dance – we just have to get him through the walk up from the Muster Hall. Fae will probably be using her influence with the advisors and Flek and Shaytrak to physically box him in.”

There was an unspoken rule at the Mountain Dance that no one was actually coupled until they walked up the boreway together and into the Dance Hall from below. Monarec’s accounts of highly controversial and much-gossiped about mid-boreway swaps had inspired part of the idea to spring the Affsol-trap as close to last minute as possible. But they had a good idea Fae would rather drag the Wondermentalist up the boreway before giving him up, doubly so with the false threat of Ella.

“Ocklou and I will handle the little distraction,” Mona said. “It’ll be tough getting up the sidesteps with all the Luminary guards around, but I think with a few lost and wandering twins involved, we’ll be okay.”

“We’re gonna chase some Fistshields!” Tuneryke called over.

“I’ll send a shard when the timing’s right, and hopefully there should be enough of a stir so that Affsol and I can get up the stairs together,” Shay said.

“I’ll try to go right before, so she doesn’t come flying after her backup plan,” said Krick.

“If we can get Ella up before any of it, it’ll go much smoother too,” noted Mona. “Fae’s guard will be down and Krickgree and Lauresh can plead ignorance.”

“I can fill that sail,” said WeeSeu.

“Good,” said Shay. “That leaves the actual wonderments.”

Affsol cleared his throat. “The new program-a is stored in the Communal Stone, I marked it as, ah, a test from last year. Music and glammers should still jive w’ the food and looks, but they will be distinctly Locktree Lake influenced instead of Boulderin or Summittask.”

“And the Tether Stone?”

“As-a long as we all keep a passive, private mindtether, we should be able to override anything Ella, Bellajak and Eckfay try and do, I say. But I think-a if Rekness has access, then we won’t be needing to worry at all.”

“You still think it’s a good idea to let him in?” Zak asked.

They all looked to her.

“He offered to take the fall for that piece… it helps to shield WeeSeu and whoever else helps blockade the rest of the council.”

“Can we trust him? His absence tonight is a little troubling. What if one of them got to him?” Krickgree said.

“I don’t think they did,” she said. “Affsol, how’s he been lately?”