FIVE

JJ and I slept in, so we had to run to the dock. We told the others we'd meet them there early, but we're already 20 minutes late.

We finally make it there out of breathe and they all give us a disappointing look. JJ and I look to each other and laugh, not realizing we start to just stare at each other.

"You guys kissed didn't you!" Pope blurts out.

"Pffft, what no?" I try to play it off cool, but it sounds like an obvious lie.

"Oh my god, you guys totally did kiss!" Kie walks up to us, arms folded and angry looking.

"Pope you snitch, I'm so getting you back for this. How could you even tell. We were legit just standing there." JJ scoffs.

"It's so obvious by the way you were looking at each other, you guys broke the rules."

"So did John B." I say, John B looks back at me and flips me off.

"Okay lets just call it even and forget about it, okay?" JJ says, heading towards the equipment.

"Okay." The rest of us agree.

I stand with JJ and Pope, looking at the screen. We can clearly see John B and Kierra swimming. This thing is so cool.

-

Things have only been a little awkward between JJ and I since last night. So we're gonna talk about it before he goes to help Pope make some deliveries. I wait for him on the front porch, when he shows up he looks extra happy.

"What're you smiling at sunshine?" I ask

"You did not just call me sunshine."

"What're you gonna do about it, sunshine?"

"Shut up, you're sunshine." He sits down beside me and rubs his hand in my hair, purposely messing it up. I push his hand away and fix my hair.

"Aw did I mess poor Dellah's hair up? Sorry princess"

My jaw drops. "Call me that again and you're dead, now we need to talk."

"I agree, now what exactly are we talking about."

"What you said to me last night and the kiss. Duh."

"Okay well I don't know, Dellah. I really don't think I am ready for a relationship. Like what if we break up and our friendship is ruined. I can't lose you."

"You're right, I can't lose either. It's better if we just stay friends, but to do so we have to follow the rules. No pogue-on-pogue macking."

"Alright that settles it. Friends."

"Friends."

We shake hands, JJ gets up to leave. As he's walking off he yells something.

"Our little bet is still on! Don't be staring at my ass as i'm walking away!" He calls out to me.

I laugh at him, then take one quick look at his butt. I mean who wouldn't?

-

JJ and I are walking to John B's together. Everyone is hanging out tonight.

"Hey Dellah, can I tell you something? But you seriously have to promise to tell no one, also nobody can know I told you."

"Jesus, JJ who did you kill? But yes you have my word, it's a secret."

"Rafe and Topper jumped Pope today. So we sunk Topper's boat."

"What! Is Pope okay?"

"Yeah he's fine now, just seriously don't tell a soul."