As Steven watched, Amethyst darted after some getaways, and Rose tried (unsuccessfully, for the most part) to haul one out from under the coffee table. All over the room, creatures were swinging from the ceiling, chewing cushions and snapping at the TV.

        "Awesome!" he said as he set the freezer down. He watched one scuttle in front of him. "What are these things?"

        Rose huffed. "Sorry, Steven! We'll get these centipeetles out of your room." She picked one up and held it fast. It squirmed, head peeking over her arms. "We think they were trying to get into the Temple."

        "Aw, you don't have to get rid of them," Steven said, sidling up beside her. "They're really cool!"

        It was at that moment the creature decided to spit a gob of acid onto the floor in front of them. As he watched, the wooden planks fizzled and melted, leaving a great hole in the floor.

        A few paces away, Amethyst's whip lashed another centipeetle against the wall. It dropped to the ground, shrieking, and then poofed.

        "Uhm, you guys? These things don't have gems," she called out, scratching her head.

        "That means there must be a mother somewhere nearby." Steven looked up at Garnet, now standing beside him. A centipeetle reared up next to her, jaws open, and received a fist to the face for its trouble. It poofed almost immediately.

        "We should probably find it before anyone gets hurt," Rose murmured, struggling centipeetle still held firmly to her torso.

        "Oo, ooh, can I come? Can I? Can I?"

        Steven whipped to Garnet, eyes pleading.

        Rose gave a soft laugh. "Of course!" She made a deft movement with her centipeetle and it poofed.

        "But not until you learn to control the powers in your gem, first," Garnet interjected.

        "Aw, man. . ." It was at that moment he noticed a centipeetle at the fridge, scrabbling at the shelves. "Hey! Get outta there!"

        He ran at it and it scampered away, leaving the milk upturned on the floor. "Go on! Shoo, shoo!"

        He turned and saw yet another centipeetle a few feet away, this time with a can clamped in its jaws. He sighed. "They got into everything! Not cool!"

        Garnet delivered a swift punch and the incriminating creature was sent flying across the room. He shook his head, eyes returning to the freezer. He gasped.

        Dozens of cat icons set against pink wrapping grinned back at him.

        "No way. . ." he breathed, reaching out and grabbing one. "It can't be! Wh— Where did you get these?? I thought they stopped making them!"

        Rose walked up and shut the freezer door. She shot him a proud little smile. "Weeell, we heard that too, and since they're your favourite—"

        Amethyst pattered up beside them and leant against the counter. "We went out and got some for you!"

        "The whole thing was my idea," Garnet said, once again suddenly beside them. She held up her hands and her gauntlets dissipated in whorls of magenta light.

        "It was everyone's idea," Amethyst corrected.

        "Not really."

        "All that matters is that Steven is happy," Rose soothed, smiling down at him.