A good Mystery

"Daren, are you okay?" Victoria asked softly, not wanting to startle him.

Daren looked up at her, slightly surprised because he hadn't heard her enter the abandoned building. Which, after years of neglect, was falling apart.

He shook his head, "This place was so full of life", 

he looked around the dirty building, the wallpaper was pealing off the walls, there were water stains where the roof had leaked,some of the windows had been broken by all the storms over the years, either that or by the same people who must have broken into the building and had gratified all over the walls.

Victoria's heart went out to him, this was his childhood home after all, it must be crushing to see it in such a state.

"What was it like growing up here?" She asked,

He looked at her, and searched her eyes just for a moment, his thoughts a complete mystery to her. Then, he turned and sat down on a step, sitting there he motioned for her to do the same. 

Once they were both seated, he took a deep breath, and looked around again, a million memories playing in his eyes.

"It was a wonderful place to grow up. During the summer I woke up early so that I could get my chores done early, then I'd spend all day outside, until my mom called me for dinner, I'd go swimming, fishing, tree climbing. And rainy days never stopped me from having fun. I'd still get up early to do my chores, and then I'd come inside and my mom would have puzzles, or a bored game all set up for us, cookies already in the oven. And in the winter I'd sleep in as much as I could before I had to go to school, and when I got home I'd go play in the snow, building snowmen, until my Dad got home from work. Sometimes he'd join me in the snow, and after a while my Mother would come out yelling at us to come inside and she'd almost always have hot chocolate waiting for me and hot coffee for my dad. Dinner on the stove..." He trailed off, and sighed.

"That sounds wonderful" Victoria softly whispered, her voice laced with sadness, wondering what a happy childhood must have been like. 

He looked at her, not for the first time wondering what makes her tick.

"What about you?" He asked, "What was your childhood like?" 

She tensed beside him, "It doesn't matter"

"I think it does"

"Well it doesn't, so drop it" She turned to give a hard look, the look she always gave to get people to shut up. 

He stared back at her, a soft look in his eyes stubbornly saying that he wouldn't give up, and she didn't know why that look comforted her so much.

He gently reached out and tucked some hair behind her ear, gently caressing her cheek with one hand while he held her hand with the other.

"If it doesn't matter then why try so hard to hide it from me?" He asked

He had a point there, she thought. But she remained stubbornly silent. And, sitting on the dusty steps of his childhood home they both silently sat. Daring the other to say something. 

When she let her eyes slip from his for a moment to glance at his lips, he knew exactly what she was thinking, and he allowed himself to look at her's just for a moment before he gently shook his head and whispered "Never the right time". Then he stood up but when she remained sitting, still holding onto his hand he looked back at her, and when he saw how vulnerable and lonely her  eyes looked in that moment he leaned down and gently kissed the corner of her lips, then he moved to her ear, and gave it a little nip, whispering "Your not off the hook yet, darling. I've always liked a good mystery and I'm not giving up yet" 

Then he rose and left the dusty building, leaving her alone with her jumbled thoughts.

Hey guys, hoped you liked this scene! Please let me know what you think. I won't really have a set schedule for updating but I do have a ton of ideas floating around in my head so hopefully it will be often XD