Something Strange

Start from the beginning

Jackie didn't quite understand where this was going but nodded, "Okay. Continue"

"It worked! And not just once! Every time I did it! It was amazing!"

"Wow, that's great! Finally getting the hang of those tricks, huh?" Jackie smiled, "I'm proud of you!"

Marvin wanted to feel happy about Jackie's words but . . . . he knew he didn't really understand. The significance. 

None of them knew.

"I see you're in costume" Marvin pointed out, "Going somewhere special?"

Jackie nodded, "The station. I asked for them to call me when anything came up about the fire but I haven't heard anything. I'm gonna go ask in person"

"You know it's not really their job to let you know, right?"

"Well when it comes to a fellow ego and Henrik's patient. . . . it's pretty imperative they tell at least one of us something. I might investigate the apartment again, while I'm at it"

Marvin shrugged, "Well good luck. Wanna take Anti with you? Maybe being in his apartment again will jar a few of his memories?"

"Uh. . . I'd rather not. You know. . .  just in case he remembers TOO much"

Marvin just shrugged again, "See ya when you get back then!"

Jackie started out of the house and to the station, Marvin's words in his head from  before.

We all have our circumstances and abilities. But just because I've been struggling doesn't mean you know the full extent of what I can do, Jackie

'The hell does that mean? Marvin's only ever been able to do street magic. . . .and even then it's always been pretty average. Am I missing something?' His head ached just thinking about it.

Marvin went back up to his room after grabbing something for himself. He couldn't wait to try those tricks again! Then maybe he could build his way up to. . . . .  well one thing at a time for now.

He shut his door behind him and locked it. He hadn't done anymore tricks since yesterday when he was practicing with Anti. He wanted some rest to start fresh on a new day. 

With his new burst in confidence and hope, he rushed to his bookcase  and pulled out a thin black box. Opening it up carefully, he shakily took the wand out of the box.

He gripped it with purpose and swallowed nervously. 

Marvin took a deep breath and walked over to his desk, opening up a beginner's spell book.

He started with the first spell. It was a simple one to light up the end of the wand.

He closed his eyes and uttered the spell, putting everything he had in the spell.

When he opened his eyes. . . . . . 

Nothing.

He bit his lip and tried again, this time staring at it as he did so.

Still nothing.

"Dammit. Maybe it's not enough yet?" he placed the wand down and picked up his cards laying haphazardly on his bed. Shuffling slightly, he performed the same trick he had done for Anti.

"Queen of Spades." 

He pulled his chosen card out and flipped it over, " . . . . . . . . . . . . . Two of Diamonds"