Ozone Disco

Ozone Disco

Timog Ave. cor. Tomas Morato, Quezon City, Manila

Why is it haunted? A tragic fire, killing hundreds of students, burned the small disco.

This 50 sqm disco located along Timog Avenue corner Tomas Morato Avenue is a witness to the worst fire accident in the Philippines. On March 18, 1996, shortly after midnight, a massive fire engulfed Ozone Disco, burning and suffocating 160 people to death and leaving 95 others injured, mostly high school and college students, attending graduation or end-of-the-school-year parties.

Approved for occupancy for only 35-50 people, the establishment had 40 employees that evening while the logbook showed that there were about 400 people who were in and out of the club during that ill-fated night. People who lived to tell the story reported that they saw sparks flying and smoke inside the disc jockey's booth, which they thought was part of the party effects. Many of the bodies were discovered along the narrow corridor leading to the only exit. Having no proper fire exit was also seen as one of the reasons why there was a high number of casualties that night.

Until now, the Ozone Disco is still abandoned and people who pass by claim to hear the faint beat of music, voices in agony, and even ghostly figures dancing when night falls.