Balete Drive

The other "victims" had similar stories: They gave a ride to a hitchhiking "white lady," who disappeared when they looked back.

Who was she? Why was she haunting Balete Drive?

I located a woman who claimed to be a close friend of the "white lady" when she was alive. She said she was killed in an accident on Balete Drive—a hit-and-run case. There were no witnesses. The driver was never caught.

Maybe she wants her killer caught, the friend said. Her soul could not rest until he was brought to justice. But whoever he was, he could be dead by now, or at least very old. With no clues, the police closed the case of the woman's accidental death.

Through all those years after he killed her, how did this driver feel? During the uproar over the ghost haunting Balete Drive, did it ever enter his mind to give himself up and put her soul to rest? Apparently not. And he may still be out there reading this.

Wouldn't it be a very interesting story if he would come out now and admit to his crime, a very old man stricken by his conscience and who wants his soul to be at peace when he leaves this world? The statute of limitations has overtaken his crime, so he can no longer be made to answer for it. And it would put to rest the soul of the ghost of Balete Drive.

© : http://opinion.inquirer.net/64301/the-ghost-of-balete-drive