3. Orientation Day

Start from the beginning

I see a group of girls who are walking our way and not knowing what else we can do, we wait until they are passing right in front of us.

"Excuse us girls, do you you where the orientation is held?" Bailee ask them politely.

"Yeah, tell us your department and we'll tell you where you should go." one of the girl offer and we sigh of relief. 

Once they told us the directions, we discover that we were closer than we thought. My nerves are starting to get the best of me because my belly is hurting so much. I should have drunk a relaxing infusion or some pills for the nerves. It's incredible to think how careless I am taking into account the fact that this happens every time I start a new period in my life or when I talked with Reece the last night of the trip. Okey, Giselle, stop thinking, we don't want our heart to ache too.

I go back to real life when I see a lot of people outside the history department. They are talking about how excited they are or meeting their new classmates. Some are talking, others just listen to what they say, not having their mind in the conversation, but the long year ahead of us. We were arriving to our department when I stopped my tracks and Bailee turns around confused when she doesn't see me by her side.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asks me confused putting her hands over my shoulders, trying to confort me.

"I don't think I can do it. I'm not ready. What if I don't make friends?" I start to panic just by thinking about it. I'm so far from home, my friends aren't here. Well, Jake's here but it's not the same.

"I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends and who knows, maybe you forget me" She tries to joke but I shake my head. My stomach is starting to hurt more and I'm about to throw up here so I'd better find a toilet soon.

"We've always been Amy, Hannah and me. We didn't make more friends because we have each other since we were kids. Could we go and find a bathroom, please? I'm not feeling well." Bailee nods fast and search for the nearest bathroom. Once she finds it, she takes my hand and guide me through the crowd until we finally arrive.

---

"Are you feeling better now?" I smile at her and embrace her while we go to our department, which is a few minutes, where the homecoming conference is taking place. I look at my watch and sigh of relief. We have 20 minutes left, thank god we left earlier. "Wait, why is that?" She asks me curiously.

"I'm just very happy that we met." I simply say and link our arms.

"One day of these you need to tell me more about those friends of yours and I'm sure you make friends the first day of classes or who knows, maybe you meet some people in the party at the welcome party on Friday. Anyways, I'm here and we are friends, right?" she reassures me and I was about to nod at her when a voice interrupted me.

"Oh wait, is my best friend here avoiding me?" a voice says behind me and I don't have to turn around to know who that voice belongs to. "You must be Bailee" he points at my friend as he put his arm over my shoulders. "I'm Jake, nice to meet you. I've heard about you." I slap him in the stomach. "Good things, of course".

"This stupid boy is Jake and I don't know why we are still friends." I introduce him and he put his hand over his heart, being a drama queen. So I add, "Are you sure you don't want to study Theatre?"

"Okay, I get you're very nervous but don't take it out on me. My department is this one over here so I just wanted to say hi and wish you good luck before I go". I smile apologetic and give him a good luck hug. "Again, it's good to finally meet you Bailee. Take care of her." I blush harder at his comment and it doesn't help Bailee laughing.

"So... that's my friend Jake. I met him in a school trip and we've been friends since then". I explain to her briefly while we finally get to the conference room.

"Too bad he's not your boyfriend, he's so cute. And boy, I don't say anything but he treats you better than mine and you know that I've been dating him for a while, 7 months to be exact. When did you have your last relationship?" I gulp and scratch my neck nervously. 

"Well, I had a few flings but my last real relationship was 5 months ago. We were never official but it was close I think. We met in a school trip and we just have a few days, but god, we really loved each other but we had to say goodbye." my voice breaks in the last sentence and Bailee looks at me with regret for asking

"And why didn't you continue with your relationship afterwards?" She asks curiously.

"We lived so far from each other that it wouldn't have worked out. I was scared I guess, I've never felt that before. But what matters now". I try to lighten the situation but it definitely hasn't worked out because Bailee embrace me tightly.

"You don't have to answer if you want, but... do you still love him, don't you?" She whispers to my ear and I nod slowly, not wanting people to see me cry in the homecoming conference. "If it was meant to be, you'll find each other in the right timing, believe me". I sigh and pull myself together before pulling away from her.

"Shall we sit here?" I say as I show her two available seats near the stage. She nod and we talk about trivial things until the light of the big screen turns on and someone goes on stage.

"Welcome to Warwick University, we're very happy that you have chosen this university to have the best years of your life" everyone start clapping as my heart beats faster because of the emotions I'm feeling now. 

I'm definitely a college student now.