ZERO

❝  HER EYES MET HIS AND TIME STOPPED. ❞

---

"that is fukurōdani academy correct?" the h/c haired girl at the counter muttered, pointing towards the grand gates of the school building across the street. the quiet café was peaceful once more. her coworker, kohi, peered over her shoulder before nodding.

"yep, real neat school. hell, the volleyball team is part of a top four team in tokyo." kohi scratched the back of her head, "students come here often. so, be prepared. there's going to be slightly more noise than usual this time of the week."  kohi proceeded to lean against the counter.

"i'll manage the drinks today, you can manage the orders." she offered, y/n hesitated for a second before agreeing. for some reason she didn't want to be seen by the students. simply because of her school. she shuddered, shaking her head as if it could push away the now surfacing possibilities of shame and embarrassment. the familiar scent of coffee that filled the room was now the only thing that she clung onto to avoid slipping away into her own thoughts.

her eyes were set on the ground, staring rather intensely as she mentally prepared herself for the worst. the soft tinkling of bells were heard, followed by the door shut. the aura of melancholy was sensed, for some odd reason. the atmosphere grew slightly duller. yet it held the coexisting feeling of bliss. the scent she grew familiar to now intruded by a new scent, the outside world. the sharp scent of vanilla moved across the sun soaked planks, the faint thuds of shoes creaked across. she couldn't help but be immersed by the synchronization she felt, the feeling that everything was perfect.

a soft cough was heard and her head shot up. before her stood a boy only a few inches taller than her, his blue eyes awkwardly staring at her. her eyes met his and time stopped. it slowed. y/n felt like every little thing that occured now was slowed, even her breathing. the fact that the words she memorized were barely rolling off her tongue, taking their time to crawl up her throat. her e/c eyes kept staring at those blue orbs.

what tone were they? was it navy? steel blue? cobalt? no that's thinking too far, the blue was a duller shade. turquoise blue? no, gunmetal blue.

"are you alright...?" his taut voice filled her ears. dear lord even his voice was handsome.  she flinched, blinking a few times as incoherent words began to bubble out her mouth before she managed to muster out a squeak to shut herself up.

"ah..! apologies sir. i was distracted," she apologized hastily, waving her hand around dismissively. wishing that the whole thing didn't just happen, she shook her head and sighed.

" what would you like today?" y/n forgot to smile. this once more stabbed a wound into her poor self esteem. if the supervisor was here at this very moment she'd most likely get in trouble. hell, this was only her first week. well damn at least she had a higher pay at this place. the socially awkward boy gestured the number one towards her before pointing towards the steamy buns at the display counter.

that was slightly a shame. she expected for him to order coffee for no particular reason. y/n clacked the tongs a few times, as if it would help anything. within seconds she got ahold of a bun that looked the most appealing and worthy for the pretty boy's appetite.

"take out or eat in?" y/n raised an eyebrow, biting her lip nervously. he scratched the back of his head, "i'm eating in." a strange feeling rushed through her veins as she nodded, now energetic. she slid the bun onto a porcelain plate, passing it to the boy with the utensils.

"careful, its still a little hot." she cautioned, then the strangest thing she heard from him suddenly shot her like a bullet.

"thank you, um l/n?"  was heard before rushing off to the table in the corner. she blinked several times. questions began surfacing her mind. has she met this guy before?

as he took small bites from the bun he pulled out a textbook along with stationary, and he just sat there. his eyes scanning over the book while in one hand held a highlighter, dragging it across the printed page. she had no idea what he highlighted. or what even was the book's subject about. but she'd rather not intrude on the pretty boy's personal life.

" ehh, you just talked to the volleyball team's setter." kohi whispered lowly, y/n flinched, turning her head, "what's a setter?" she frowned. a low chuckle escaped kohi's mouth.

" a setter's responsibility is to run the team's offense and build up offensive scoring opportunities for the team. The setter plays both front row and back row.  meaning that they are a really important role in the game, they need to be able to block, serve and play defense." kohi waved her hands around as if it could illustrate her point.

"eh? how do you know all of this?" y/n frowned towards her coworker, kohi smiled nervously.

"i started watching this volleyball anime about a few months back and suddenly i decided to watch real life tournaments. fukurōdani's volleyball team has an ace who's one of the top 5 in the nation. isn't that amazing?" she gushed, though there was no stopping there, "and funny thing, in the tournaments against fukurōdani. the ace, bokuto kotaro, usually starts yelling for the setter's name. his voice sounds so chaotic in the court!"

y/n blinked a few times, trying to process what she had just learnt before hastily putting the question up.

"so what's the setter's name?" she'd at least want to know if it rung any bells, if the boy knew her name then she must've encountered him somewhere. kohi placed a finger on her chin, pondering for a moment.

"oh! i remember. it was uhh... agkaashei.." her voice sounded strained, y/n assumed she was trying to imitate the ace. "oh, akaashi keiji." kohi's face beamed up with pride, obviously happy that she managed to remember the setter's name.

nope.
akaashi keiji didn't seem to ring any bells.

then how the hell did he know her name? she turned to the boy, who was already exiting the café as groups of students began pouring in. she let out a sigh, "i guess i'll ask him the next time he comes.." she mutters.

and so she waited.
he didn't come the next day.
or the day after.
or the following day.
that continued on until the next week. she saw him again entering the café.

i am terribly sorry for this trashy birth of a trashy fanfic

i am terribly sorry for this trashy birth of a trashy fanfic. i want to spoil you all right now with the reason why akaashi knows the reader's name. ah well.
here's a hint.
the reader has never met them before. EVER. thats the same as akaashi.
ok goodbye JSGSHSHSH