Chapter 16: Accident

Start from the beginning

~~~

Kuroo could hear the crickets chirping as he walked under the streetlights. He glanced at his phone once more before pocketing it, but there were still no texts from Taiji.

He decided to text her again.

To: Pretty Captain

[9:34 p.m]: Are you okay? Please call me as soon as you're okay.

Still no response from her.

Kuroo sighed again as he crossed the street. The street-side had a few stragglers around, most from a nearby club since it was Friday.

"Hey there beauty, why are you all alone on a nice night like this?"

"Please just leave me alone."

Kuroo perked up, he recognized that voice.

"Don't be shy now, we just want you to come hang out with us!" A second man joined the conversation.

"Fuck off!" Kuroo could hear the panic rising in her voice. "I'm not going anywhere with you."

Kuroo could see Taiji being cornered by the two drunk men, he was just about to step in as one of the guys grabbed her wrist.

But Taiji had other plans.

She stomped on the first man's foot with all of her might and kicked the other guy in the most painful spot she could have picked.

The two drunk men howled curses at Taiji as she ran off. Kuroo watched her silhouette fade into the distance, the guys slowly limped away, too afraid to look for another target.

Kuroo's phone rang.

And his heart raced as he realized who the caller was.

Incoming call from:

Pretty Captain

The male captain fumbled with his phone as he tried to answer the call.

"Taiji? Are you okay? What happened?" Kuroo burst out with questions, but Taiji remained silent.

"Can you come pick me up?" Her voice was quiet, Kuroo's heart dropped as he heard her sniffle over the phone.

The male captain was dumbfounded, "Are you okay?"

More silence and sniffling, "I'm scared, Kuroo."

Kuroo could hear the strain in her voice as she tried to stop herself from crying. He started walking in the direction he saw her running towards and soon he saw her again.

She was sitting on the ground, huddling her knees to her chest. Kuroo could see the tear stains on her cheek and it shattered his heart.

"K-Kuroo? How did—" The rest of her sentence was muffled as Kuroo hugged her tightly.

Taiji melted into his embrace and started sobbing. This was the first time he had ever seen Taiji so vulnerable.

'There it was again, the light scent of lemongrass.' Kuroo thought to himself

The female captain had always hidden her true feelings behind a mask, and Kuroo was the first person in years to see her cry.

"I'm here now," Kuroo soothed, "You don't have to be afraid."

The two sat there for a few more minutes before getting up again.

Taiji explained her brother, Takashi, had gotten into a car accident on the way home, and the hospital had called her as soon as he was admitted.

Kuroo brought Taiji to his house, where his grandparents were surprised to see her with swollen eyes from crying.

"You are in no condition to walk all the way home!" Kuroo's grandmother pulled Taiji onto the couch, "You should stay here for the night."

"Thank you, but I have to go home." Taiji protested.

"How is your mother and Taro?" The image of the happy little boy popped into Kuroo's head, "Are they okay?"

Taiji smiled at Kuroo, "They're okay, My mom is at the hospital while Taro will be staying with my grandparents."

"Still, you shouldn't be alone" Kuroo's grandfather piped up, "If you really have to go home, Tetsurou should stay with you too."

Kuroo's eyes widened, "There's no need for that! I can just walk her there and come home!"

"It's gonna be late, Tetsurou, the last train is 20 minutes from now."

Taiji placed a hand over his, "Your grandfather is right, you can stay in Takashi's room."

Kuroo tightened his fingers around Taiji's hand, "Let me just grab my stuff before we go."

As Kuroo quickly went to his room, Taiji had a conversation with his grandfather.

"Are you sure you're okay with Kuroo being away?" Taiji gave a worried smile.

"We'll be fine, you should worry about yourself for now." She squeezed Taiji's hand.

Kuroo's grandmother could see why Kuroo fell for Taiji.

Seconds later, Kuroo came running down from his room, "We should hurry before we miss the last train."

And the two made their way out the door. Kuroo's mom smiled as the door shut.

"Teenagers." She laughed and shook her head.

I made this meme, plz enjoyy