"Just because you don't look at your email doesn't mean she didn't send it to you."

I pulled my phone out of my pocket. "I swear I didn't get one." I pulled up the app within seconds and flipped the phone around. "There's no email from her besides the one sent early this morning."

"Open my door." Abernathy tilted his head to the side, calling out so that she could hear him. "Andrea, come in here please." Oh Andrea gets a please, but I just get barked at. Of course.

She appeared quickly, standing next to. "You sent an email to him a few hours ago, correct?"

"You mean the updates for the Senate votes?" She nodded. "Yeah, I did."

Are you serious? "Maybe you sent it to the wrong email because I didn't get it." I sputtered.

She lifted the phone in her hand, taking a few seconds. "Is your email parker dot fields at gmail? P-A-R-K-E-R, dot, F-I-E-L-D-S."

I nodded. "Yeah, but I didn't get it."

She raised an eyebrow. "Did you check your spam or your trash?"

Of course I fucking did. "Yes." I scratched at the back of my head, a habit I formed when I got irritated. "Do you mind if I look?" I reached out, gesturing to her phone.

"Fields! Give it a fucking rest already. You messed up. You've already had her repeat your email back to you. Your inbox not working has nothing to do with her. That is something that you should have fixed yourself. Have IT look at it, I really don't care, but get it fixed because now I have to run behind you and your incompetency."

I glanced at Andrea's unwavering face, caught between feeling slightly embarrassed, but also not giving a damn anymore.

I wasn't going to apologize this time. "I'll have IT look at it."

He waved me away. "Yeah, whatever. Go on break. Go do something. But don't go back to your office. I don't want to see you."

I almost wanted to protest, because how were you going to kick me out of my own office? But I also wanted a break, so I didn't say anything. He could have all the fun in the world drafting those papers. I didn't want to do it anyway.

After stopping in the bathroom, I found myself walking the hallway towards the Oval Office.

This was the first time that I didn't see Cliff at the door. It was a different man with a buzzcut and that same stoic face that Cliff had, but it was somehow less warm and inviting. "Hi, I'm Parker Fields, assistant to the Chief of Staff."

He eyes flittered down briefly. "The President doesn't have an appointment with you today."

See, if Cliff was here, we wouldn't have these problems.

I sighed inwardly. "I know. If he's busy, I can come back, but just let him know I stopped by at least."

He stared at me for a moment. "Let me check."

After knocking, he disappeared inside of the office, closing the door behind him so quickly that I didn't even get a chance to see inside. I turned and leaned back against the wall, breathing in deeply to try and calm my nerves.

Abernathy had been working my nerves all day and it was only 11:30. I couldn't be mad though. This is what I signed up for. I knew it was going to be crazy, but I thought there would be at least some period where we actually had a good day.

But no.

At least, not yet.

The door opened again, but the new agent didn't come out. Instead, I looked down to find Isabella walking out. She looked up at me and made a face. "Of course it's you." Then she walked away and I had no choice but to stare at the back of her head in confusion.