Chapter Five

"Fields!!"

Oh my fucking....

If I had to hear him scream at me one more time, I was gonna quit my job.

I was on the middle of a phone call with a senator that I had been trying to get a hold of for an extremely long time and he was just wailing away in the other room. And I thought his office was soundproof.

I quickly push the mute button, but decided to cover the speaker anyway. "I'll be right there!" Luckily, the senator was still speaking when I clicked back over. It took me four more minutes to finish up my call and get the information I needed and I jumped up right away to go to Abernathy's office.

Andrea met my eyes from her desk when I opened my door. "Why are you looking at me like that?" She was looking at me like I had done something wrong.

She shrugged. "He doesn't sound happy." She turned back to her computer and began typing quickly. "I was just looking to see if you knew why you were in the doghouse. But since you don't know..." She trailed off, clicking away.

I squinted my eyes at her as I passed her desk. "Do you know?"

She shrugged again, pulling her mouth to the side. "Nope, just being nosy, sorry."

My eyes rolled automatically. "Thanks a lot Andrea." My hand pauses on the doorknob. "Hey, can you add that senator from Kansas to the list? He's on board."

She smiled. "You got it." Clicking again.

"Thanks Andy." I don't know how anybody typed that fast. Her fingers just glided over the keyboard.

She laughed, not looking up. "Andy?"

"You hate it? If you do, I won't call you that."

Her eyes widened. "No, no, no. It's fine. Andy's fine." She said quickly.

I turned the handle to Abernathy's door. "Good. I like Andy." I pushed inside, finally coming face to face with the person who'd been pissing me off all morning.

"I don't think I heard a knock." He snarled as the door clicked behind me.

Who the hell pissed in his cornflakes today?

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes again. "I'm sorry." I forced out, not meaning either one of those words. "What can I do for you?"

He glared at me, holding up a packet of papers in his hand. "Is this the draft you wrote up for the Senate?"

"I mean, I can't be too sure without reading it, but-"

"Then read it." He held the papers out to me and I scanned over them, feeling his eyes practically bore through the stack to my face.

Me eyes raked over the letters briefly. "Yes, this is mine." I handed the papers back, but he didn't take them.

"Do you realize that half of the information in here is incorrect?"

I scoffed immediately. Yeah fucking right. "I'm sorry sir, but I find that hard to believe. In fact, I just got off the phone with the senator from Kansas, so the only updated information I have puts us in a more favorable position for the bill to pass." How was he going to tell me when he hadn't even been here yesterday when I started putting this whole thing together?

He narrowed his eyes. "Did you not read the email Andrea sent to you?"

Huh?

"Andrea never sent me an email." I checked my email practically every 15 minutes. Plus, I had all of Andrea's emails tied to a specific notification to make sure I saw it. There was no way I would've missed it.