⠀⠀³¹ the perfectionist

Start from the beginning

     To help with that journey, I have done some research for you!

     ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐘𝐏𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐏𝐄𝐑𝐅𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐒𝐓 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔? ⸝⸝ ⇗
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀→ ⺌ This section is inspired by an article from Psychology Today. Credit for this portion goes to them. Disclaimer: I have added my own words, advice, and paraphrased sections of the article.

          ❝ 𝗜𝘀 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝗶𝘀𝗺 𝗮𝗱𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗼𝗿 𝗺𝗮𝗹𝗮𝗱𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲? 𝗧𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁.

          "Can you have too much of a good thing? Like many personality constructs, there are both good and bad aspects of traits. Research on perfectionism suggests that there are both adaptive and maladaptive forms of perfectionism.

          "Adaptive perfectionists strive for success, tend to complete tasks on time, and have high standards for their work (taking into account their strengths and limitations; i.e., they don't "overdo" it). Perfectionism becomes maladaptive when the individual becomes overly concerned with "perfect" performance so that nothing becomes "good enough," and those too-high standards are applied to others' behavior. Maladaptive perfectionism may cause an individual to avoid taking on tasks for fear of making an error or not being able to complete it up to their lofty standards.

          "Research by psychologists Hewitt and Flett suggests that there are three forms of perfectionism: self-oriented, other-oriented, and socially prescribed.

━━ 𝗦𝗘𝗟𝗙-𝗢𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗠: this type "leads people to be conscientious, to hold high standards for performance, and is associated with greater work productivity and career success."

           ➳❥ 𝙁𝙐𝙍𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙈𝙊𝙍𝙀. . . Here are items from their Multidimensional Perfectionism Scale that suggest high self-oriented perfectionism:

               ● I strive to be as perfect as I can be.
               ● It makes me uneasy to see an error in my work.
               ● I must work to my full potential at all times.
               ● I set very high standards for myself.

━━ 𝗢𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥-𝗢𝗥𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗠: this type "involves holding others to very high standards and is associated with being judgmental and critical of others' performance. This can lead to the individual not delegating work to others (for fear that they will screw it up), and problems in working relationships."

           ➳❥ 𝙁𝙐𝙍𝙏𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙈𝙊𝙍𝙀. . . Other-oriented perfectionism items include:

               ● I can't be bothered by people who won't strive to better themselves.
               ● I cannot stand to see people close to me make mistakes.
               ● If I ask someone to do something, I expect it to be done flawlessly.

━━ 𝗦𝗢𝗖𝗜𝗔𝗟𝗟𝗬 𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗖𝗥𝗜𝗕𝗘𝗗 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗘𝗖𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗠: this type "is driven by a sense of pressure to be perfect in everything you do. With socially-prescribed perfectionism, the individual's self-worth is tied up with a sense of unrealistically high standards that others hold for the individual. The socially-prescribed perfectionists experience anxiety over their performance, and may obsess about being "good enough to meet society's standards." Major setbacks are problematic for socially prescribed perfectionists."