⠀⠀²⁸ reasons to kill a character

Start from the beginning

          ❝ 𝗪𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗵𝘆 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗸𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳𝗳 𝗮 𝗺𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗲𝗿?

          "As you develop stories, you always need to be looking for opportunities to shake things up, inject more conflict for characters to deal with, and surprise the reader and audience. These are the elements that you need to ensure that your stories are compelling and engaging. Things need to happen. Routine storylines do nothing more than bore the reader or audience. And because of this truth, you're going to have to find story points and plot devices to make your story and characters more interesting and impactful. And there's no more compelling and engaging plot device than killing off a major lead or supporting character."

          Here, I share ten simple and straightforward reasons why you should consider killing someone off in your story.

          ╰─── 𝟬𝟭. To add stakes to your story. "The best screenplays and novels showcase genuine stakes that your characters must face. Stakes inject more conflict into the story—and conflict is everything when it comes to an engaging and compelling screenplay or novel. If the reader or audience doesn't feel like any of your major characters are going to be in harm's way (stakes), their investment in the ongoing drama isn't going to be that strong. And when they're not invested, you're not doing your job as a writer.

          "Killing off a major character can show that the villain, antagonist, or threat means business. They or it isn't going to let anyone off the hook. When you create that tension by killing off a character that the reader or audience has grown to love or empathize with, you're creating an atmosphere of uncertainty that drives the narrative and raises the stakes of your story.

          ╰─── 𝟬𝟮. To inject empathy. "Empathy is a vital part of storytelling. You want to affect the people that are experiencing your stories. And the easiest way to accomplish that is by having them live vicariously through your protagonists. One of the strongest emotions is sorrow. When someone loses somebody close, the sorrow they feel is deep. And that is something that everyone can relate to.

          "When you kill off a parent, grandparent, sibling, mentor, best friend, or peer, people empathize with the loss of that character, as well as with those that mourn them."

          ╰─── 𝟬𝟯. To create catharsis. "Catharsis is the feeling we feel after the resolution of the story and the protagonist's overall journey. It is what we feel when we leave that theater, finish that episode, or close that book. How are you going to affect the reader or audience enough for your story and your characters to stick with them when the story is finished? Killing off a character can create a memorable cathartic experience."

          ╰─── 𝟬𝟰. To add tragedy and despair to your story. Yes, this is a simple and somewhat obvious one, but it's a good idea, nonetheless. "Maybe your story is too light? Maybe it lacks in stakes? Maybe things are coming to your protagonist too easily? Tragedy and despair are powerful story elements. If you feel that your story needs a little more oomph, those two elements may just be the answer. And what is more tragic than the death of a beloved character?"

          ╰─── 𝟬𝟱. To add a twist. "Audiences love twists. And what better way to shock the reader or audience than to kill off one of your main characters? Plot twists allow the writer to change the trajectory of the story. It is less of a reset or redirection than a shakeup and wake-up call to make sure that everyone is awake, engaged, and invested.