Emerald eyes

I stand in the door way. My heart beats fast. The scenery is stunning and the room is absolutely humongous. But what's caught my breath is the enormous amount people in one room.

      Then a thought crossed my mind. What if I cant find Gabriel? I felt panic rising in my chest. I took a step deeper into the throng of people but was gently pulled back. An arm was wrapping itself into mine. When i turned around to snatch it away panic melted into reassurance. "Freya! You made it!"

"Wouldn't miss the only day I ever get to see the king!"

"What do you suppose he'll look like?"

Freya bit her lip to think. "I hear he's quite the looker."

"What if he's hideous."

"And what if he's quite the opposite?"

Giggling like children, our mother interrupted to tell us to get out of the door way.

"Oh, Freya, my dear you made it."

Mother strode off with Freya as she told her about the past few days. Then I was again left alone. I took a deep breath and told myself everything would be fine. My heels tapped the polished black floor as I started for the snacks.

Lovely flowers decorated the table in glimmering glass vases. Dark gold platters held assorted fruits and cheeses. Strange how many kinds of cheese there are. I went for a white cheese with a gentle aroma. It was quite tasty. Dark gold towers presented cakes of all sort. And a goblet with magnificent designs kept a dark red liquid inside. It smelled sweet and gentle. But alluring. I went for a cup and and dipped the fancy ladle in the drink. Once I poured it in my glass I held it to my nose and took in the sweet scent.

"Glad you're taking a liking to the wine." A familiar voice caused me to jump almost spilling the drink on my gown. I spun carefully not to spill my wine to see that breath taking smile I always loved.

"Gabriel!" I gasped. I put down my cup and swung my arms over his shoulders.

"How is the party so far, my dear?" His beautiful eyes gazed into mine with love and affection.

"Oh it's not the best I've been to." I teased.

"You've been to more extravagant places?" He mocked back.

"I have you~" I hugged him as he chuckled from my words. I can't wait to Mary this man. He makes me so happy. When I'm around him I'm like the sun. I beam so bright I could light up this entire room. And this whole room is almost three times the size of my house.

Waltz music began to play. Gabriel took the opportunity to bow down and place one hand behind him as he presented the other before me. "May I have this dance with you?"
I smiled and placed my hand tenderly in his. "My pleasure."

We glided to the open floor where others began to do the same. One after the other spots were filling with tuxedos and wonderful gowns. After the first note starts the whole room began in unison. It was almost like magic. Gabriel with his hand on my waste held me close to him. I could feel the warmth from his chest. He smiled down at me and looked into my eyes. All I wanted now was to kiss him. We spun and twirled. But our eyes never strayed apart. Then he held my arm above me as I spun. Our bodies moved together. The whole room moved together. My mind was at one place: Gabriel. I knew he was the one I wanted to spend my life with. I felt it in my heart. We strode to the side and glided to the left. We stepped in a circle and bowed. Then right as the song was about to finish I tensed up at the thought of how much I loved him. "Gabriel?"

"What is it, my love?"

Then quickly I said, "I love you." But right after he held my back and dipped me to the floor. Holding me for a short while. "I know my dear." Then he smiled lifted me up. He held my hand tightly. And in response I squeezed his hand gently to show my appreciation for this wonderful dance. "Love, are you thirsty?"

I nodded and let go of his hand. "I shall return with refreshments." He bowed and went for the drinks. I sighed and cupped my face with my palm.

He returned after a short while with two small goblets of something that smelled amazing. "My dear please forgive me for I have not told you how stunning you are tonight."

"All is forgiven." I reached for his hand and guided him to a wall where we sat and watched everyone have fun.

"Rose, do you know how much I love you?"

I held him in a tight hug to reassure him. "I love you so much, Gabe I would commit treason for you."

"Oh, Rose that moves me."

My gaze moves to two familiar boys. Brent and Keil.

"Good evening boys." I smiled a delicate innocent smile at them.

"Well look who it is? Come to stare? Now that Keil and I will become royal guards soon you must be so jealous."

"Hardly." I said bluntly. They seemed to take offense to that. The blockheads.

"How dare you?" Keil was now standing up for himself. "Royal guards are royal for a reason!" Brent nudged his elbow into Keil's stomach. "You're a baboon. You don't even know what you're saying do you?" Keil nods his head in response. "Let me do the talking." Brent looked back at Gabriel and I. He fixed the collar of his tux coat. "Let this be a warning. You mustn't disobey is once we get this job. We could put you in bars in an instant." And with that Brent and Keil stomped away feeling mighty.

"What a pleasure, that bunch." Gabriel added. Then the music stopped completely and everyone's attention turned to the stairs.
A short man with a red and gold suit stood upright and still. "May I have your attention!" He shouted. I met up with my mum with Gabriel behind me. "It is my pleasure to present to you the king! Please put your hands together-" the doors behind the short man swung open. "King Vincent the first!" There was a moment of silence and still movement. Then suddenly the whole room shot into hands clapping and voices cheering.

Suddenly the room felt cold. A tall slender man with broad shoulders and pale skin entered the spot light. His eyes were dark giving him the illusion of sunken in eyes. And in all honesty he looked tired and sad. His whole suit was pitch black with silver buttons. A ruby red cloak draped down his right shoulder barely dragging on the floor. The short man bowed to the king then left behind the doors the king came from.

He stood for a moment looking unamused at the applause coming from his entire kingdom. He looked around for a moment taking in the scene. Then slowly placed his hand in the air indicating for us to stop clapping.  After the silence had come back the tall king finally spoke. "Welcome, my people." Everyone seemed in awe at this mans voice. It was deep and raspy but a hint of smoothness. "I feel greatly honored to see so many of you have come to congratulate me, your king." But why does he sound so sad?

"As you know this is my 20th anniversary since I was crowned the king. I thank each and every one of you. Now please enjoy yourselves. And dance the night away." As he said this last part he suddenly looked at me. His eyes were so beautiful. So green. Almost the color of emeralds as they shone in the light. But it was starting to feel a little awkward as he didn't look away. So I turned my head and followed the crowd. "Rose, are you alright" Gabriel held my hand. I smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "Never better."