Chapter 5

Courfeyrac was really coming along in fixing up the abandoned house. Because he hated the silence, he was off talking to himself again, and added dancing with the broomstick he had found in a closet. He waltzed around the room--or more accurately, tripped around the room holding the broomstick like a partner.

"I wish I could dance, maybe I could do it with him," he sighed, setting the broom down and picking up the sponge and wiped the windows.

Despite the distraction, the dishes were done so they sparkled, the floor was scrubbed, and the--multiple--beds were made. He wasn't sure why they were so many beds, but that didn't seem important. Maybe it had been an inn before he came. He had no idea, and no wish to know.

When he finished, he was so tired, he fell asleep immediately. It had been a long day. He was so sound asleep, he didn't hear the front door open. He didn't hear the several pairs of feet scuttling across the room.

"Something's wrong," a voice whispered.

"What's wrong, Enjolras?" another voice asked.

There was sniffing, then, "I smell cleaning products. I think Joly is the only one here who ever uses cleaning products in large quantities."

"I think you would've smelled it before we left if he had used that much bleach," another voice said, "Besides, he never uses that much."

There was a very young voice that nearly shouted, "Maybe it was a murder!"

"Gavroche, quiet down, there's no need to be so loud," the first voice commanded sharply, then said, "Hm."

"Well, we have only one candle, so let's just go to bed and deal with it later?" a female voice added. "It's awfully late."

What really woke Courfeyrac up was the sudden weight of a person on top of him. "Aah!"

The person shrieked, causing a complete uproar. There were suddenly multiple people in the room, all making noise. Someone managed to get a candle lit in the craziness, shining the light on the source of the ruckus. Courfeyrac cowered in a corner near the person who landed on him, who was bald. They were both shaking.

"Who are you?" The person with the candle. They were most likely female, by the voice.

"Courfeyrac," he replied, shaking, He was trying not to start crying, but it was hard. Fear had paralyzed him.

The voice asked, "Are both of you all right?"

A tall blond man came into the circle of light. "What are you doing in our house?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't know this place wasn't abandoned, I just got a death sentence from my stepmother and I don't want to die so I hid in here and I cleaned a little... Please don't kill me... " Courfeyrac's eyes were watering, and he curled up into a little ball.

"I think we scared him," said a soft voice from the back. Courfeyrac looked up to see a brown-haired man coming over to him. "Hi, Courfeyrac," he said with a smile, "I'm Marius. This is Musichetta, there's Bossuet, and he's Enjolras."

"What the heck is going on? I'm trying to sleep," A loud, slurred voice called out.

"Maybe if you weren't dead drunk, you would've been able to catch up," Enjolras snapped.

"How are you even married?" A red haired man called from the corner.

Marius took the candle from Musichetta and began showing Courfeyrac around. "Grantaire, Feuilly, Bahorel, Joly, these lovely ladies are my girlfriends Eponine and Cosette, and here's Gavroche."

Gavroche was a very young boy, probably about twelve years old, and he took to Courfeyrac right away. They got distracted in a conversation about how Gavroche's little joke he was planning to pull. Courfeyrac knew exactly how to make it foolproof .

"Can we keep him? Please?" Gavroche begged Enjolras, who seemed to be the head of the group.

He looked at both of them and rubbed his forehead. "As long as he can keep his area clean, fine. I'm tired." He went over to a bed, which was occupied by the man called Grantaire, and curled up under the blanket. Grantaire put his arm around him with a soft snore. He was already asleep.

Marius guided Courfeyrac to his own bed, where there was a blond girl and a brunette curled up. "You can sleep in here for now. Trust me, it's safe."

Courfeyrac snuggled under the blanket, keeping himself a good distance from the bed's other residents. "I don't want to bother you," he said quietly.

"It's not bothering when he suggested it," the brunette, whose name was Eponine, replied sleepily.

Finally, Courfeyrac was able to calm himself down enough to fall asleep, after awhile.