16 • Memory loss?

"I could go any extent to love you;"

.
.
.

N "Tum theek hona kartik?" As she asked, cupping his face.

K "Main kaun hoon? Who are you?" What the hell he was asking about? She too was confused.

N "Kartik, kya bol rahe ho tum?"

K "Sorry, I didn't recognize you?" He asked which left her shocked.

She was taken aback by his question! What was he saying! She decided to calm her mind first and again cupped his face.

N "Kartik, are you okay? What are you saying?" She asked, holding back her tears. She would definitely start crying if he ask this stupid question again.

N "Kartik, I'm Naira.. Main.." She couldn't complete when doctor interrupted between them.

"Glad to see you well, Mr Goenka. How are you feeling now?" The doctor asked him.

K "I'm fine." He answered weakly.

"You must be alright as your wife is beside you. She was really worried for you." A shocked Naira looked at the doctor. Wife?

K "Wife?" He asked it before she could.

N "Doctor, I'm not his..wif.." This time Kartik didn't let her say.

K "Ohh so she is my wife? When did I get married?"

"What do you mean? You don't know her?"

K "I remember, I was going to college. What did exactly happen after that?"

Naira gaped hearing his weird talks. While Doctor sensed something wrong and took confused Naira with him.

N "Doctor, Kartik aisa kyu behave kar raha hai? He is okay nah?" she was already crying.

"Relax Mrs Goenka. filhal toh woh theek hai but he has lost his memory.." Doctor finally revealed, this broke her heart.

N "What are you saying? You must be mistaken!" Aapko...aapko koi galat...fehmi hui hai. Do the test again. I want him fine!" she stammered, sobbing.

"Well, He didn't recognize you, Did he?"

N "You mean he forgot everything?"

"I would not give you false statements. His head was injured badly in this accident. we had have same cases like this before. It can happen. And I guess he didn't forget everything but if he is talking about college then he remembers every moment before the college phase. Most probably he doesn't remember his past 5/6 years memories. Nothing else."

N "He forgot me!" She whispered, crying.

"Please, keep hopes. Miracles do happen everyday. He will be alright. And make sure to take great care of him." He suggested.

"Naira, what is doctor saying? Doctor, how is my son?" Manish asked, coming from nowhere.

The doctor answered the same as told before. Naitik hugged his daughter, consoling him.

N "Kartik forgot me, Papa!" Her tears didn't stop. While they tried to comfort her.

"Princess, don't cry. He will be alright." Her father said caressing her head but it was not enough.

"Mrs Goenka, I hope you are okay?" Doctor asked.

N "Yeah..I am fine doctor. And I am not his wife."