Chapter 9: Hunter

"Shit!" I jump out of my bed as I see my alarm clock: it's 7:40 AM. "WHY DID NOBODY WAKE ME UP?" I grab clothes nearby me; I don't care if they match. After I change, I run downstairs. I pour some Cheerios into a plastic bag and then I pour some milk into it. I shake the bag quickly while I run back upstairs to check on my brothers.

"DUDE! IT'S 7:40!" I shout.

"Shut up D," Finn mutters and throws a pillow at me. His aim is completely off and it knocks over a stack of clothes.

"YOU HAVE SCHOOL. WAKE UP, OR I'M LEAVING NOW!" I say while opening Ollie's door too.

"D, just go without us," they both wave at me at the same time. Creepy.

"You're going to ditch?" I gasp. "You know what, do what you want! But i expect you guys here by second period or I'm going to call our Uncles." With that, I leave the lazy sobs on their bed as I sprint to my car. The Uncles part was actually a serious threat. My uncles are very accomplished men and take school very serious. When they found out that the four of us ditched school one day and went to see the first screening of some movie, they got so pissed. They grounded us and unleashed their worst punishments: We had to do each other's laundry.
I shudder at how disgusting my brothers can be.

I'm lucky I'm not pulled over on the way to school. I think I would have gotten three tickets for speeding, rushing the red light, and not seeing the stop sign. All accidental of course.

I barely make it to the school when the bell rings. Not again!

I grumble in a foul mood as I stomp to my locker. I'm late...again. This shall be my fourth tardy for first period, which means that I have Saturday school now. Stupid school policy and stupid brothers. Yes, it's always my brothers who cause me to be late. Plus, my first period teach hates me simply because the twins are also in the same class with me. GREAT. And I also feel like a slob with my hair in a messy bun and Finn's bro tank.

Huh. How did Finn's tank top end up in my room. I don't want to know if it's clean. I cringe in my mind at the possibilities. Perhaps nobody would notice it's not a girl tank? I tuck the tank inside my Adidas soccer sweatpants (at least these make me look more sporty than slummy). I groan as I realize I didn't bring socks. Of course, I brought everything in my soccer bag besides socks. Why did I choose to wear sandals?

I slam my locker. I turn around and knock right into someone. Great, what else can this morning throw at me?

"Sorry," I crouch to pick up all the books the guy dropped. Wow, he has a lot of huge textbooks from hard classes. I recognize most of them. I accidentally grab his Calculus book at the same time he reaches for it too.

It's so cliche, but our hands make contact and I feel a zap go through my hand. It could be just a random shock too. I lift my eyes and stare into a familiar set of grey eyes. We stand back up and stare at each other in shock and a look of recognition.

Hunter Reed. I remember him from my last game. I suddenly feel really self-conscious with my casual outfit. He looks really great, oozing sex pretty much. Girl, stop swooning.
He is wearing a shirt that matched his eyes with black jeans. His rich, chocolate color hair was cleanly combed but looked messy in a stylish way. It must have been a long time, but I didn't remember Hunter looking this good up close. Then again, I was tired and it was dark. He looks even hotter now, with a strong jaw and broad shoulders. His muscles were obvious, rippling beneath his clothes.

I feel very flushed for some reason. Then, I realize his mouth is moving.

"Thanks," he grins, flashing a kind but embarassed smile. I hand him the textbook back.