Chapter 2

The light blinds me, causing me to squint. I hear screaming in the back ground as my mother runs out of the room calling for my father. I rub my eyes, trying to catch a glimpse of what she was screaming at. Opening my eyes, a tall figure in all black, wearing a gas mask appears. I jump back and fall to my butt. He crawls through the window reaching for my hand. I'm in so much shock, I just stare. My hearing leaves and my eye sight becomes blurry. Suddenly He comes closer, taking the mask off. "Hey, hey it's ok, I'm Keagan. I'm here to help, grab my hand and lets go before they come back." He holds out his black, gloved hand. Everything stops, time, air, everything. My mind goes blank. I look behind him, the sun shown bright on the sidewalk outside.  There was green grass and sprinklers going. 

   We hear my mother walking back to my room. "Come on! No time left!" He yells. Not thinking, I grab his hand. He pulls me to stand and pulls me through the window. My eye sight is blinded again and I feel the heat hit me. It smelt so fresh. Keagan pulls me forward, knocking me out of the trance. 'Look, I know this is all new, but you can do this another time." My mom screams for me, " ALLEY COME INSIDE< YOU'LL GET SICK!!!" She screams. I start to walk back. Keagan grabs my arm, stopping me. "What the hell are you doing?!" He looked worried. "I'm doing what I'm told. You shouldn't be out here, quarantine isn't over yet. We're the future." I say, pulling arm out of his grip, I walk towards the window. My mom waving her hand for me to hurry. 

   " Quarantine ended 4 years ago..." Keagan says, I stop where I am. " Alley come on." My mom says. I stare at her. "Is it true?" I say, I'm so confused. Keagan walks closer, " They gave up on quarantine, the attacks slowed, they even opened our gates." My eyes shoot open, I turn around to face him. "You're lying!" I yell. "Look around! Do you see, blacked out windows?! Do you see scared families? No! Unlike your parents, they moved! They moved closer to their original cities and lived their lives. Your parents? They lied... they wanted to keep this ugly lie about how you can never go outside. That it's unsafe." My eyes fill with tears. "Alley come inside now." My mother becomes angrier. "Alley... My parents lied too..." Keagan said. I turn around, I look at my mother almost fully losing my emotions. "Tell me he's lying... tell me this is all a lie, that quarantine is still happening." Tears fall down my cheeks. My mother bites her lip. as tears pour down her face. "We only wanted to protect you as long as we could Alley." She reaches for me. I become angry. "Is that what you wanted for my brother?! Happiness?!" I squat down, trying not to explode. My mother grabs her chest. She lets out a cry. "He couldn't stay! He was a terrible influence!" She says. "Alley, just come inside and we'll talk about this.." Her tears float away like they never happened. She has a demeanor that's almost criminal. Keagan softly grabs my hand. I look at him. "Alley, trust me, You don't want to go back there." His eyes were so gentle. He grips my hand more and urges with his face to go. I look at my mother one last time. " Goodbye Mother.." I climb onto the back of Keagan's motorcycle as my mother screams my name. 

  I wasn't sure where exactly Keagan was taking me, but I somehow felt a lightness come upon me. Like I had dropped a load of weight off my shoulders. I grip Keagan's waist tightly as we drive. Tears fall from my face. Was that really the best idea? I don't even know what I'm getting myself into. We drive into this colony, the huts were made of scrap metal.  The towns people looked happy, smiles everywhere. We exit the colony and approach the gates to the city. We stop in front of the closed gate. "Hold on" He says. We get off and I stay next to the bike while he goes to the small office that controls the gate. A man was in there. Keagan stepped in. I could tell they knew each other. The man hugged Keagan and they share a few laughs. Keagan points at me while he talks, the man silently looks at me. He smiles and nods his head yes before turning around. Keagan runs back to the bike. "What was that about?" I asked grabbing onto him after he sits back down. "They sometimes close the gate to be safe, but there's usually no activity." The gate opens,  The world outside looked different. There was no green grass, There were old abandoned cars, rusting away. The wind was crusty and the smell wasn't as refreshing. It seemed almost grayish outside. I watched as the once city I lived in became smaller and smaller. I wondered as we drove, how this would turn out, will I ever see my brother again and why did my parents lie?