Goodnight Beautiful <3

Soul • mate:
noun. a person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner.

ex. Simon had been dreaming about meeting his soulmate since he was a little kid.

Some of Simon's earliest memories are of his mother tucking him into bed and telling him all about soulmates. Explaining what they were and how the timer on his wrist counted down to the exact second he would meet his own soulmate. Sometimes she'd tell him the story of how his father and her had met. It was his favorite story.

His mom was at a concert with her friend. While on her way to use the bathroom she passed his father, an unassuming man she wouldn't have even noticed him if it weren't for the buzzing coming from her wrist. Apparently, she had completely forgotten about her timer in all the excitement of the night and was completely caught off guard. She couldn't think of anything to say but fortunately, his father beat her to it and she'd never forget his first words to her.

"So, you gotta pee?"

Simon never failed to laugh when it got to this part of the story, no matter how many times his mother told it. It was so absurd he found it hard to believe his mother hadn't made it up just for his enjoyment. His father on the other hand, hated when she'd tell this story.

"You'll never let me live this down, will you?" He'd always ask through his hands, shielding his blush.

"Nope!" His mother would reply with a wide grin.

Even as an adult, it was Simon's favorite story. It never lost its charm, not when he saw the result. Throughout everything, all the awkwardness, all the difficult times, his parents had stuck together. He wanted that more than anything. He knew nothing could ruin the moment he finally met his soulmate. Nothing.

~~~~~~~~

"C'mon, Simon! Live a little!!" North exclaimed with dramatic hand motions.

He had been doing the dishes in their shared apartment's kitchen when she approached him with the offer of a concert ticket. He didn't understand why she wanted him to go so much. He wasn't exactly her most fun-loving friend. He would much prefer a quiet Friday night, curled up in bed with a nice book and some calming tea. Why didn't she ask Josh?

"I don't even know the band playing," he reasoned without looking up from the sink. A certain someone refused to take turns so it was solely Simon's responsibility.

"I know but I think you'd really like their music! Please, for my birthday?" As he finally turned his head to look at her, she gave him a pleading look and he knew he wouldn't last much longer.

"You want me to go to a concert that you payed for, for your birthday?" He turned back to the plate in his hand, scrubbing at some stubborn spaghetti sauce. If North would just rinse her plate off before putting it in the sink, she would save Simon so much time and energy.

"Yes!!"

"How does that make sense?"

After a moment of silence, he turned to look at her again. She was pouting, giving him the saddest eyes she could muster. She knew she looked ridiculous but she also knew all of Simon's weaknesses and "puppy dog eyes" were number one.

He sighed.

"Fine, but I'm still getting you a real present."

"Yes! Thank you, I promise you won't regret it!" Simon highly doubted that but she looked so overjoyed he could only smile in return. He supposed he should put it on his calendar, despite knowing he wouldn't have any conflicting plans.