Dream Girl

The car raced on the road just like the thoughts were racing in Vihaan's mind. He wasn't supposed to get married to just any girl. He was waiting to fall in love. He was looking for the girl of his dreams. He hadn't given face to his imagination yet but he knew the moment he would see her, he would recognize that she is 'the one'.

Suddenly he felt his car bump. 'What was that?' he thought. The visibility was near zero as the water poured down from the skies. He got out of his car and what he saw sent shivers down his spine. A girl clad in a red bridal outfit, wearing a chura, was lying in front of his car. As he sat down near her body, the blood oozing out of her wound from the head tainted his hands in red. He freaked out and shouted for help but at mid-night, not much traffic moved on that road. He quickly picked her up and took her to his car and rushed to the hospital.

As the doctors treated her inside the operation theatre, the inauspicious red bulb lit outside the room looked ominous to him. His heart was telling him, something bad is going to happen and never had his heart lied in 27 years of his life. All his fears got a practical shape when the doctor informed him that girl has gone into a coma. He felt guilty as he was responsible for her condition. Maybe she was going to get married tonight; maybe she already did marry someone. Maybe she was starting a whole new life that night and now she was lying in the ICU. She was still beginning a new life tonight, a life of lifelessness.

Vihaan entered the ICU to have a look at her pretty face which was covered with bruises and wounds and surgical tapes at the moment. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen in his life. She captured his heart in just a glimpse. His heart fluttered inside his chest but his stomach clenched in fear, he was the one who got her into this condition. No one knew when she was going to wake up, if she did at all. She was oblivious to her surroundings or the people she was meeting but that didn't stop Vihaan from pouring out his heart in front of her.

"I am sorry. I am responsible for everything. I have always been a reckless driver but my recklessness could wreak havoc in someone's life, I realised today. I was lost into the thoughts of my dream girl without having slightest of idea that I would become the reason of grief of someone else's life. I know my apology isn't going to change anything but again selfish as I am, I am doing this to reduce my own guilt."

He made his confession sitting beside her bed and crying while holding her hand. He never knew he could cry too. The society where he was raised up had conditioned boys to be strong, unemotional and tough and who don't cry but today his tears were not stopping. The briny pearls drenched her hand but sadly she couldn't feel the moisture dripping from his eyes. This was the first time in his life he was crying for a girl. The girl had something in her that was able to tug at his heartstrings. It wasn't only his guilt that was flowing through his eyes but also a longing. A longing for a girl like her that he had been waiting for what felt like an eternity.

'Love at first sight', the concept he believed his entire life and his mind used to boggle down on various possibilities of how he was going to meet his soulmate, maybe in a restaurant, might be in a flight, in a workspace setting, through online dating or may be selected by his mother through an arranged marriage. He had seen tens of girls till now on his mother's insistence but nobody was fitting into the frame of his perfect girl. Even today, he had visited a girl's home for the prospect of marriage but yet again he was disappointed. With every disappointment, he used to disappoint his parents too that led to a heated argument between the father-son today and in a fury Vihaan pulled out his car from the garage and drove aimlessly without even caring that it was raining cats and dogs. Never did he imagine that he would meet his perfect girl on the road clad in red and lying in a pool of red gore. Was this the way destiny had planned his first meeting with his dream girl? Did his destiny planned to immerse him into the guilt of hitting his dream girl that he had been waiting for all his life? Was his dream girl actually his or did she belong to someone else? There was no one who could answer his questions. Only the girl who held all the answers was herself not in her senses.